Presentation on theme: "Vocabulary Workshop Unit 1A Take 3-column notes on the following vocabulary words for Unit 1A which consist of the first 10 words for Unit 1. Complete."— Presentation transcript:
Vocabulary Workshop Unit 1A Take 3-column notes on the following vocabulary words for Unit 1A which consist of the first 10 words for Unit 1. Complete chart for homework and turn in Wednesday.
3-Column Notes Vocabulary WordDefinition or synonym Word or phrase association (this to be completed for homework) 1.AdmonishreprimandWhen I broke the glass screen door with my trumpet case 2. 3.
1. Admonish – (v.) to caution or advise against something; to scold mildly; to remind of a duty Mr. Mike had to admonish the mischievous dog several times for for gnawing on the furniture. Synonym: reprimand Antonym: praise
2. Breach – (n.) an opening, gap, rupture, rift; a violation or infraction; (v.) to create an opening, break through Antonym: Close, seal Because of a serious breach in the levy, the town was flooded in no time.
3. Brigand – (n.) a bandit, robber, outlaw The party goers were attached by a ruthless group of girls known as the chick brigand.
4. Circumspect – (adj.) careful, cautious It is important for a diplomat to behave in a manner that is both discreet and circumspect.
5. Commandeer – (v.) to seize for military or official use Under certain circumstances the U.S. government has the right to commandeer private property.
6. Cumbersome – (adj.) clumsy, hard to handle; slow-moving Synonym: difficult Antonym: manageable
7. Deadlock – (n.) a standstill resulting from the opposition of two equal forces or factions; (v.) to bring to such a standstill The downtown traffic was a miserable deadlock situation due to the power outage and no working traffic lights.
8. Debris – (n.) scattered fragments, wreckage Hurricane Ike left a lot of debris on Galveston Island that eventually floated out to sea.
9. Diffuse – (v.) to spread or scatter freely or widely (adj.) wordy, long-winded, or unfocused; scattered or widely spread The scent of lilacs slowly diffuse through the open window.
10. Dilemma – (n.) a difficult or perplexing situation or problem Synonym: predicamentAntonym: cinch