2VocabularyCanaan – Bridge that connected Egypt and Mesopotamia in ancient timesCanaanites – people that lived in CanaanPhoenicians – a small group of Canaanites that lived in the northern part of Canaan
3Philistines – a small group of Canaanites that lived in Southern Canaan Treaties – agreements between states or countriesHoly of Holies – most sacred chamber in a Phoenician TempleUrns – decorative vases used to hold the ashes of the deadColonies – permanent settlements in a land ruled by a foreign country
4Carthage – Phoenician Colony on the north coast of Africa, located where present day Tunisia is
51. Where does the most of what we know about the Canaanites come from? Most of the info about these groups comes from the Bible, other ancient writings, and the ruins of their cities and ships
62. Why did the Phoenicians turn to the sea to make a living? The land wasn’t rich enough to grow all the food needed for the people in Canaan
83. What type of wood was grown in Phoenicia? Cedar
94. What did the Phoenicians use to plot the courses of their journeys? Used the stars and sun to navigate the open seas
105. What area do archaeologists believe the Phoenicians the first to explore? The Americas
116. How did the Phoenicians remain free from the larger surrounding countries? They set up treaties with the surrounding countries
127. What art form did the Phoenicians discover 7. What art form did the Phoenicians discover? How did the spread the knowledge of that art form spread?GlassblowingKnowledge of the art spread with their trade
138. Describe the political set up of Phoenicia. The cities states were ruled by powerful priest-kings in the beginningAs time went on the priest-kings were forced to share power with a council of other high standing citizens
149. How did the Phoenicians get their name? Phoenician means “of purple merchant”Their name comes from a legend involving a god named Melqart- Melqart was walking with his girlfriend Tyrus on the beach. When their dog found a shellfish called a murex. The dog bit down on the fish and it turned its mouth purple. Tyrus refused to marry Melqart until she could have a dress of that color. Melqart gave her the gown and started the dye-making trade in Phoenicia.
2011. Summarize the legend of how Carthage came to be settled. This origins of Carthage are explained in the legend of Dido- Dido was a Phoenician Princess who ruled over the city of Tyre. Her brother became jealous, murdered her husband, and took over Tyre. Dido escaped and she and her followers fled to Carthage along the northern coast of Africa. Their new city became one of the most prosperous Phoenician Ports.
2112. What was the most important idea spread by the Phoenicians? Phoenician Alphabetsimplified Egyptian Alphabet to keep track of trade- consists of 22 symbols used to make words- basis for Greek, Roman, English, and many other alphabets