Presentation on theme: "“ACE” THE EXAM TIPS FOR COMPLETING EVALUATIONS SUCCESSFULLY HLSS Student Success."— Presentation transcript:
“ACE” THE EXAM TIPS FOR COMPLETING EVALUATIONS SUCCESSFULLY HLSS Student Success
1. Prepare - Get ready 2. Study – Tips and Strategies 3. Action- Complete the Evaluation Topics
Let your family and friends know you have homework and study priorities 1.Prepare PREPARE, PREPARE, PREPARE Spend time getting yourself and your materials organized – be sure you have notes and review sheets from class
Create a study schedule by using a calendar Put the exam dates in first Block off other commitments such as classes, work, and family time Now, in all the time remaining for study and exam prep, put in your exam subjects in chunks of up to 50 minutes 4 1. Prepare
2. Study It is best to study in chunks of 20 to 50 minutes – then take a 5 to 10 minute break During your break, give your eyes and brain a rest – do something active like walking outside, stretching, or a short burst of exercise Set an alarm to remind you when your break is over 5
2. Study Keeping the TV on, You tube open, or texting your friends will NOT help you study or remember subject material. Music is also a distraction. Remember, powerful study strategies will help you be successful. There will be time to relax and be social when your exams are completed AVOID distractions. Your brain needs all its focus and power to understand and remember your subject material
2. Study Use the tips and review sheets that your teacher has prepared – they will help you spend time on what you need to know Break it down: What do I need to memorize and what can I figure out?
2. Study The best strategy to rehearse and store info can be found when you ask yourself “How am I going to remember this?” You will need to look at, think about, play with, and work with the information. Your brain will be ACTIVE.
2. Study – Strategies to try Flash cards – make your own and then test yourself Read information then summarize out loud - no peeking! Read information then write it down in short form
2. Study – More strategies Read information then draw a diagram or flow chart Transform it – if it’s visual, make it verbal, if it is verbal, make a diagram Look at topics that you struggled with in previous tests and quizzes and focus on fixing the gaps
2. Study - Memory Techniques Make a word with the first letter of the words you need to know Example:: HOMES can represent The Great Lakes – Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie, Superior Make a sentence with the first letters of each word representing a letter Example: Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge (EGBDF – lines on musical staff) Be creative – make a poem with words you need to remember
2. Study Look after yourself Eat healthy foods such as fruit, vegetables, whole grains and protein Limit the caffeine and sugar you consume Get plenty of rest Don’t stay up all night trying to cram before the exam – it won’t work!
3. Action – Completing the Evaluation Bring your tools to the exam such as pen, pencil, calculator, ruler, eraser No electronic devices are allowed in the exam room unless the teacher has specified a particular device Leave your coat, cell phone and backpack in your locker – you will be more comfortable without extra things
3. Action – Completing the Evaluation When you get your exam, check to make sure all the pages are there Look over the format and notice the suggested times for each section Read the instructions carefully and note where you answers must be placed Relax and Breathe – you studied and you are ready !
3. Action – Completing the Evaluation Start with questions you know best – you will gain confidence for more difficult sections Be sure to note if there is a choice of questions to complete In multiple choice, narrow down the choices by rejecting ones you know are incorrect Always select your best answer in multiple choice – don’t leave any blank
3. Action – Completing the Evaluation Keep an eye on the time; don’t spend too much time on one section. You can always come back to a difficult question later When you are done, go back and check over all your answers
“Ace” the Exam Don’t stress when the time is done. You have done your best and now you can relax
“Ace” the Exam Congratulations – You have taken the first steps to completing your evaluations successfully by viewing this slide show Use your strategies and tips for all your future exams, tests and quizzes Good luck with tests and exams – but if you are prepared, you won’t need the luck!!! HLSS Student Success