The Main Way to * be Successful and *reduce your anxiety is to... To be as prepared for the exam as possible
How to prepare for your exams... 1 ) Gather all the notes you will need Use the exam outline that the teacher has given you to ensure you have all the notes needed
2) Make A Schedule ( handout available) -schedule daily study time in your schedule everyday between now and the exam -set priorities- do you need more time to learn the material in one subject than in another? - schedule time in during the day before the exam to review the material only - Trying to learn new material on the day of the exam may cause anxiety and you will then be less likely to remember the material you have already learned
3) Take 30 Minutes to Review the Whole Course Read over all your notes to get a sense of topics you may need to spend more time on than the topics you already have good understanding of think of this a “warm-up”
4) Intense Review of the Material Read slowly, carefully and attentively Go over the material again, reading it out loud If helpful to you, ask someone to read the material to you
5) Most of Your Preparation Time Should Be Activities Such as... A) Teaching the material to someone else B) Making flashcards and using them C) Mind Maps D) Creating A Song E) Pictures and Doodles F) Writing How do you learn best??
What is A “Mind Map”? (See handout for example) A Drawing that uses: Emphasis Colors Borders around words Various kinds of lettering Associations to connect things Arrows Branches Color coding
What is a “Mind Map”?( continued ) Be Clear Use printing rather than cursive Use as few words as possible Keep words as horizontal as possible Make lines that relate central ideas thicker than others
6) Test Yourself Make up questions that you feel may be on the exam (reviewing previous tests and using exam outline) Verbally answer questions and/or Write down the answers
Tips for Success... Get plenty of sleep the night before the exam (you will remember more) Do not try to learn anything new the day of the exam Imagine yourself doing well and calmly dealing with difficult questions Bring extra pens and pencils with you
General Principles for All Exams... Relax: you will a remember a great deal more information Ignore what others are doing; what they are working on; when they are leaving Read all directions and questions very carefully Answer the questions that you are confident answering first; if you get stuck, leave the question and come back to it later; easier questions will boost your confidence!
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.