5 Easy Steps… 1. Identify the purpose of your portfolio 2. Create & organize your artifacts 3. Identify the technology tool you will use 4. Set up a structure 5. Create & maintain your portfolio
1. Purpose Grad School Other Job Search What do you hope to gain from your online portfolio? Who will be looking at it? What do you want them to think?
2. Artifacts What do you want to show in your portfolio? Resume Use your best work Variety Easy file formats (PDFs)
2. Artifacts: Writing Samples elements to include Newsletters Press releases Flyers Brochures Fact sheets Advertising copy Feature articles Websites Surveys/research Campaigns Proposals where to find them Internships Summer jobs Campus jobs/activities Coursework Volunteer your services for a non-profit Join the staff of the Beacon KEEP EVERYTHING YOU WRITE
3. Technology Tons of sites and services to build a site… Webs.com (free) Homestead.com (free) Google Sites (free) iWeb & MobileMe DreamWeaver Buy you own domain (i.e. www.YourName.com) www.YourName.com
4. Structure What do you want on your site? Make sure site is easy to navigate. Important information should only a few clicks away!