Presentation on theme: "4.02 PowerPoint Part I 4.02 Understand business management activities and careers."— Presentation transcript:
4.02 PowerPoint Part I 4.02 Understand business management activities and careers.
What is business management? Business management is the direct control of a business or enterprise. It means working with people and using resources effectively and efficiently to accomplish organizational goals.
Who performs management functions? Every business, large or small has managers. Their overall job is to make sure that the organization meets its goals and obligations.
Levels of Business Management (Managers) 1. Top-level Managers 2. Middle-level Managers 3. First-line Managers OR Supervisory Managers (sometimes called operational managers)
1. Top-Level Managers: Set goals Plan for the future Examples President Vice president CEO Top-level managers usually consist of a small group of people or even one person.
2. Middle-level Managers Carry out the decisions of top- level management. They are responsible for Planning and controlling an operation. Examples Plant managers Department heads
3. First-Line Managers: Direct the day-to-day activities of operational employees. Examples Supervisors Team Leaders Coaches Unit Coordinators
PLANNINGPLANNINGORGANIZINGORGANIZING LEADING CONTROLLING Business management activities are classified as one of the four functions of management. Four Functions of Managers
1. Planning Setting company goals Deciding what must be done (Top-level managers), Deciding who will do what Deciding how the work will be grouped, and Why is planning important?
2. Organizing Assigning managers different tasks Coordinating activities. Knowing what the other managers are doing Why is organizing important?
3. Leading Creating a vision for the company Setting standards Communicating company goals to employees Providing guidance Resolving conflict among employees How does Leading help a business?
4. Controlling Keeping the company on track Making sure all goals are met. How does Controlling help the business? Check your understanding! Which of the four management functions do you think you could BEST perform? Why?
Check your understanding! The FBLA president falls under which level of management?