Presentation on theme: "* “Laughing at him from the shadows stood the actor’s worst nightmare.” * “Not that I loved Caesar less, but that I loved Rome more.” * “Silence is as."— Presentation transcript:
* “Laughing at him from the shadows stood the actor’s worst nightmare.” * “Not that I loved Caesar less, but that I loved Rome more.” * “Silence is as deep as eternity; speech is as shallow as time.” * “Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country.” * The Simpsons Abnormal word order Parallelism Balanced sentence Reversal Satire
* Today’s checklist * Homework check * Rhetorical devices warm-up * Active essay reading * I am a Native of North America note * Group work – questions * Quiz tomorrow – rhetorical devices
* Difference between balanced sentence and reversal * Similar relationship to rectangle and square * I.e all reversals are balanced sentences * Not all balanced sentences are reversals * Reversals make a balanced sentence even more memorable by repeating the words in reverse order * When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
* I am a Native of North America * George uses contrast effectively * Highlights the differences between the predominant (anglo-saxon) culture of North America and that of the Native Americans * Consider this paradox: * Never before has a society existed that has as many means of communication as ours; never before has a society existed in which people lack genuine human connection and communication.
* Contrast Find another example * Native * Their sleeping apartments were separated by blankets made of bull rush weeds, but one open fire in the middle served the cooking needs of all. In houses like these, throughout the tribe, people learned to live with one another; learned to respect the rights of one another. * North American * Houses consist of man- made materials. * Families subsist on their independent income, without necessarily sharing with their neighbours or even extended family.
* Elements of the essay * Title – how does it contribute to the tone of the essay? * Irony - “I am afraid my culture has little to offer yours.” * “My white brother does many things well for he is more clever than my people…” * Suggests pride and identity * Verbal irony – Having established the values of the Native culture it is clear that the meaning he intends is the opposite of what is said
* Group work * In groups of three, develop four questions on the essay * One person may write your questions * Pay close attention because… * After 15 minutes, submit the questions you have developed! * Independently, write your four questions and submit by the end of the period
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.