The Water Cycle
Steps in the Water Cycle
Evaporation the process of changing water from a liquid to a gas
occurs when water on Earth is heated by the Sun
6. Condensation the process of changing water vapor (gas) back into liquid occurs when water vapor cools as it gets higher in the atmosphere this is what makes clouds
1. Precipitation 3. Collection
liquid water falls from clouds back to Earth can be in the form of rain, snow, sleet, or hail 3. Collection oceans and lakes collect water that has fallen stays in collection until evaporation occurs
2. Runoff water that flows down a mountain in a river or a stream, or off a surface into a collection source 5.Ground Water water located beneath the Earth’s surface can come to the surface through springs
4. Infiltration The movement of water through the soil into aquifers underground An aquifer is a large body of groundwater that can be extracted and used
7. Transpiration the process by which moisture is carried through plants from roots to small pores on the underside of leaves, where it changes to vapor and is released into the atmosphere
9. Water Source Body of water that heats up and begins the process of evaporation. Lake, river, ocean, etc.
© 2023 SlidePlayer.com Inc.
All rights reserved.