Presentation on theme: "Resilient Landscapes - Fire Adapted Communities – Wildland Fire Response National Cohesive Wildland Fire Strategy & How State Fire Marshals Can Be Involved."— Presentation transcript:
Resilient Landscapes - Fire Adapted Communities – Wildland Fire Response National Cohesive Wildland Fire Strategy & How State Fire Marshals Can Be Involved
Its not a matter of IF, it’s a matter of WHEN! So why are we surprised?
Where is the Wildland Fire Problem? Federal forests & parks State forests and parks Private lands within Federal/State forests and parks Private lands adjacent to Federal/State forests and parks Private lands Open space entities within private/public lands
The Wildland Fire Problem… Is not just a federal issue Is not just a state issue Is not just a local issue Is not just a fire service issue
If wildfires do not respect jurisdictional boundaries, then why do we allow them to work against us?
The FLAME Act 2009 Federal Land Assistance, Management and Enhancement (FLAME) Act directs Departments of Agriculture and the Interior to develop a Cohesive Wildland Fire Management Strategy
Why a Cohesive Strategy? In this nation, 95% of all wildfires are contained within 10 acres or less. The remaining 5% of fires are the costly & destructive wind driven, dynamic, untamed events, like hurricanes, earthquakes and other natural disasters that cannot be stopped, only mitigated immediately after the event subsides. We can make a difference in 95% + of these wildland fires, but we need to work at it, cross-jurisdictional lines and collaborate at all levels!
Why is it Important? Wildland fire management is complex and involves a wide range of stakeholders Risks to communities and firefighters are increasing Effectively addressing these issues requires a united, comprehensive effort 9
What is the Cohesive Strategy? A national, collaborative approach to addressing wildland fire across all lands and jurisdictions Broad stakeholder involvement and input 10
National Goals Restore and Maintain Landscapes: Landscapes across all jurisdictions are resilient to fire-related disturbances in accordance with management objectives Fire-adapted Communities: Human populations and infrastructure can withstand a wildfire without loss of life and property Wildfire Response: All jurisdictions participate in making and implementing safe, effective, efficient risk-based wildfire management decisions 11
Phase l & ll Cohesive Strategy Regions – Action Plans & Implementation National Risk Analysis
A Unique Effort Evolution of past efforts – National Fire Plan – The 10 Year Strategy A strategy, not a program
A Way of Doing Business Framework for a culture of “working better together” Collaboration is the key
Vision Safely and effectively extinguish fire when needed; use fire where allowable; manage our natural resources; and, as a Nation, live with wildland fire.
Identified CS Barriers Legislative Land management agencies, environmental groups & Tribes Non government organizations Federal, State & Local partners Fire service Public (key to resolution) Conquering the Barriers
How do we… Restore and Maintain Landscapes? Create and Maintain Fire Adapted Communities? Ensure Safe & Effective Wildfire Response? By: 21 Collaboration Work across jurisdictional lines Focus on goals Change behaviors
When is the Cohesive Strategy going to do start? The work that you are doing IS the Cohesive Strategy today, we are just trying to break down the silos and get everyone (Federal, State & Local) to realize that we need to pull on the rope together in the same direction.
What Can NASFM Do to Help? * d h k o i Actively support and become advocates of the Cohesive Strategy tenets Help overcome the Barriers Become involved in the FAC network Build relationships (political, public & private)
Bob Roper International Assoc. of Fire Chiefs Wildland Fire Policy Committee Bob.Roper@ventura.org www.forestsandrangelands.gov www.fireadapted.org