Presentation on theme: "Understanding the Holy Spirit. 2 Timothy 2:15 First, need to understand the measures of the Spirit: A. Without measure – Christ B. Baptismal measure –"— Presentation transcript:
2 Timothy 2:15 First, need to understand the measures of the Spirit: A. Without measure – Christ B. Baptismal measure – Apostles C. Secondary measure – NT Christians D. Indwelling measure – All Christians Eg Understanding the Bible – 3 ages
The Holy Spirit and the Christian 1. Jesus promised to those who believe John 7:37-39 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)
2. Peter who was given the keys to the kingdom (Matthew 16:19) assured that those who repent and are baptized will receive it Matthew 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. Acts 2:38-39 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
3. Christians are born of the water and the Spirit John 3:5-8 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit. Titus 3:4-6 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;
4. The Holy Spirit dwells within the church 1 Corinthians 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? 2 Corinthians 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Ephesians 2:22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.
5. The Holy Spirit indwells in individual Christians 1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? Romans 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
6. The Holy Spirit is our seal, guarantee and downpayment of heaven Ephesians 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, Ephesians 1:14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory. 2 Corinthians 1:22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts. Ephesians 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
7. The Holy Spirit convicts and converts this sinful world Galatians 5:16-18 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law. Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
8. The Holy Spirit empowers Christians Romans 8:5-8 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. Romans 8:11-13 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
Summary The Holy Spirit is the Father’s and Son's gift... a. To those who believe, repent, and are baptized b. Power for us to triumph over the world c. A foretaste of the glorious inheritance they will one day receive d. Mentioned 88 times in the OT 60 times in the Gospels 57 times in the Acts 132 times in the Epistles e. For you to take up your Bible and read, apply and be empowered!