Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

September/October 2010 IMMIGRATION AND VISA ADVICE Sue Castle-Miller and Jo Aldhouse Visa and Immigration Advisers Student Information and Advisory Service.

Similar presentations

Presentation on theme: "September/October 2010 IMMIGRATION AND VISA ADVICE Sue Castle-Miller and Jo Aldhouse Visa and Immigration Advisers Student Information and Advisory Service."— Presentation transcript:

1 September/October 2010 IMMIGRATION AND VISA ADVICE Sue Castle-Miller and Jo Aldhouse Visa and Immigration Advisers Student Information and Advisory Service Examination Schools Email

2 September/October 2010 Immigration and Visa Advice Visit our website Email us with your visa questions Come to our presentations Use our ‘batch scheme’ for student applications Meet to discuss completed application forms Information and advice on: student visas (here and home country); visa conditions and responsibilities; problems with your visa; working during your studies; family student dependant visas; student visitor visas; non-student visas; travelling and returning to the UK; finding an immigration lawyer Today: a quick look at some visa points you need to check or know right from the start

3 If you still have a student visa given for a course somewhere else: Visa applied for before 31 March 2009 (pre Tier 4): ok to enrol and start; apply for extension before expiry date Visa applied for before 5 October 2009: you need to email UKBA before you start your course Visa applied for on or after 5 October 2009: apply now for a new visa; then you can start your course while you wait for it Collect handout: Changing Education Provider from our stand; email us if you need help September/October 2010

4 Check your visa’s expiry date Check you have been given the correct amount of time: - course length over six months but less than 12 months: visa expiry date should be course end date (as on CAS) + 2 months - course length 12 months or longer: visa expiry date should be course end date + 4 months - could be shorter if you have certain types of financial sponsorship If you haven’t been given enough time, email us September/October 2010

5 UED4UGNF1 This is the University’s Tier 4 Sponsor Number If you applied for your visa before you travelled, with a CAS from the University, this number should be on your visa If you have a Biometric Residence Permit (because you applied for your Tier 4 visa in the UK) your BRP should have either this number or your CAS number If it is wrong or missing, please email us September/October 2010

6 Registration with the Police Some nationals need to register with police (will be written on your visa in your passport) Register within seven days at police station in St Aldates (near main post office in Oxford, near Christ Church); take with you: - two passport photos - Enrolment certificate (print out from Student Self Service) - £34 for fee(exact amount in cash) report to police and get your certificate updated (free of charge) if you extend your visa or change address Do not ignore this requirement!

7 Why is my college asking for my passport/Biometric Residence Permit/visa to scan? The University, as a Tier 4 Licensed Sponsor has a duty to keep a record of the passport and visa or Biometric Residence Permit of all Tier 4 students. For most students, colleges carry out this duty. Please take your passport (and BRP if applicable) to college when you enrol, and again if you renew your passport or get a new visa Please keep your details up to date on Student Self Service September/October 2010

8 The University’s reporting duties If you have a Tier 4 student visa, the University must tell UKBA if any of the following happen: You do not enrol You suspend, withdraw from or defer your studies You leave your course early You are no longer sponsored by the University You breach your immigration conditions You are absent for a long time and the University does not know why Communicate with your Department and College! September/October 2010

9 Study at the institution which gave you the CAS for your visa Know your visa expiry date and do not let yourself become an ‘overstayer’. You will not get a reminder. Nobody is entitled to remain beyond their visa expiry date Keep to work restrictions Register with the police if required Consequences of breach of conditions: criminal offence, possible removal, Entry Clearance bar Difficulties getting new visa Take care to keep to the conditions of your visa

10 Further information on Tier 4 duties and responsibilities In your Welcome Pack, you will find a sheet called STUDENT VISAS: IMPORTANT INFORMATION PLEASE READ CAREFULLY Please read it carefully September/October 2010

11 Extending your Student Visa in the UK Full information about process, including links to current application form and notes about the supporting documents visit: By post Student “Batch” scheme: operated by the UK Border Agency post your application for you quicker and safer than posting yourself must make an appointment via email In person At a UKBA Public Enquiry Office make an appointment through UKBA passport returned same day BRP card issued within 5-10 days YOU MUST APPLY IN GOOD TIME AND BEFORE VISA EXPIRES – IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO KNOW WHEN YOUR VISA EXPIRES

12 September/October 2010 Working During Studies 20 hours a week while you are studying Full time when you are on holiday Note DPhil students must only work full time during designated breaks as authorised by supervisor All students can work for 4 months upon completion of ALL studies with a valid student visa You cannot work full time during any period when you should be studying (including research and writing up) Permission to work also includes work placements (with conditions) Self-employment, engaging in business or filling a permanent full time vacancy is not allowed National Insurance Number – see A-Z Guide under “Work” All UK employment legislation applies and you must pay UK tax : threshold currently £6,475 pa (2010/11)

13 September/October 2010 Family members Spouse, unmarried partner, civil partner, children under 18 Allowed to join you during your studies as your ‘dependants’ No work restriction if student visa is valid for longer than 12 months No provision for children over 18(although can remain at 18 and extend if already in UK as a dependant)

14 September/October 2010 Visas to stay in the UK to work Tier 1 (Post Study Work) – UK degree required Tier 1 (General) Highly Skilled Worker We will advise on applications to these schemes - Workshops advertised on website Tier 2 visas obtained by employer –we can give general information

15 September/October 2010 Visa is for study at Oxford (check Tier 4 sponsor licence number) Date your visa expires Length of visa Work conditions Whether you need to register with the Police Important to check

16 September/October 2010 To do list Take a copy of your visa and passport identity page Register with the police (if required to do so) Be aware of your responsibilities Keep your College/Department informed Read all the information currently available and keep up to date by visiting websites regularly Make a note 2 months before visa expires and start extension process if necessary Attend presentations and workshops Important

17 September/October 2010 Immigration and Visa Advice For further information contact: Student Information and Advisory Service Email:

18 September/October 2010 Please visit Sue and Jo at the Visa and Immigration stand in the North School 1 – 5pm today **************

Download ppt "September/October 2010 IMMIGRATION AND VISA ADVICE Sue Castle-Miller and Jo Aldhouse Visa and Immigration Advisers Student Information and Advisory Service."

Similar presentations

Ads by Google