Presentation on theme: "GUIDE TO POST COLLEGE SUCCESS. 1. FOCUS ON WHAT YOU WANT TO DO Do you want to be a professional? Do you want to go volunteer? Do you want to continue."— Presentation transcript:
1. FOCUS ON WHAT YOU WANT TO DO Do you want to be a professional? Do you want to go volunteer? Do you want to continue studying? Do you want to explore the world? Do you want to start your own business? This is the hardest choice to make I understand but you really can’t start your new chapter in life without a plan of what you want to do! If you want to take a year of to travel or go volunteer DO IT! You will never regret it & companies love it when you go and make a difference in the world.
2. DECIDE WHAT SPECIFIC AREA YOU WANT TO BE IN You want to be a professional? Do you want to be a marketer? A doctor? A salesperson? A vet? If you aren’t sure what you want to do then eliminate what you DON’T want to do. This is a great way to tackle this issue head on You want to volunteer? Which organization? How long? Where too? You want to continue studying? Where? What? You know the drill You want to explore the world? Make sure your budget & prepare so you don’t go broke (I know from experience) Start your own business? Plan plan and start planning.
3. UNDERSTAND & LEARN WHAT YOU NEED TO DO TO BE SUCCESSFUL How can you succeed at this career? Will it be long hours and you have to deal with difficult people (lawyer)? Will it be flexible and you have summers off (teacher)? Can you grow in this industry? Is there a need? Really learn and understand what these careers are like on a daily bases and think to yourself……
4. WILL THIS MAKE ME HAPPY? THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THIS GUIDE YOU WANT TO DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY SO ASK YOURSELF, can I see myself doing that every day? Will I love it? Will I get bored? Will it make me excited to go to work? If you don’t even want to do research, don’t even bother. (trust me, you will waste your time) DON’T JUST DO IT FOR THE MONEY Happiness does NOT always equal money (it’s a fact)
5. FIND CONNECTIONS IN THAT AREA Connections are a great way to get a feel for the career! It can be a family friend, friend, family, professor, etc. Reach out to them and talk about it! Do you have similarities? Do you really want their job? Does it sound awesome and exciting? Get to know as much as you can from them! They are the experts!
6 RESEARCH, RESEARCH & RESEARCH I know this sounds like college, but this will be worth it! Use GOOGLE to see what comes up and just research as much as you can about the job Where can you work? What kind of companies? What is the day to day like? What’s the good? What’s the bad? Find out EVERYTHING!!!! I mean seriously think about it, you will be doing this every day, 40 hours a week, pick something that inspires & motivates you!
7. FIND THE CAREER & APPLY Apply, apply and apply to all the positions you are interested in! HINT: AIM HIGH You didn't just work your ass off in college to not get your dream career! Make sure to always make a cover page (trust me, it will really help and it shows the company you made an extra effort just for that position) Tweak your resume to the position you are applying for Use Keywords in your resume that are in the job application
8. PREPARE FOR INTERVIEW Really show them why you want the job & do your best effort to impress them with your awesomeness. You totally know what I am going to say here….. Check out Cheers to Careers Blog Posts for some tips to help with the interview process! www.cheerstocareers.com/blog www.cheerstocareers.com/blog
9. KILL IT & BEGIN YOUR NEW CHAPTER Frist, take a deep breath You CAN do this! I know it can be stressful and sound like a lot of work, but this is YOUR future! Really focus in on yourself & what you want to do! Just follow each step and you will be heading down the right path! I wish you luck and good vibes!! If you need any help along the way, feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or send me a message through Cheers to Careers email@example.comCheers to Careers Cheers, Samantha