Presentation on theme: "Test on Chapters 15 and 16 7. What is the most abundant gas in the atmosphere? A.oxygen B.hydrogen C.nitrogen D.carbon dioxide."— Presentation transcript:
Test on Chapters 15 and What is the most abundant gas in the atmosphere? A.oxygen B.hydrogen C.nitrogen D.carbon dioxide
Test on Chapters 15 and The bottom layer of the atmosphere, where almost all weather occurs, is the A.stratosphere. B.troposphere. C.thermosphere. D.mesosphere.
Test on Chapters 15 and What percentage of the solar energy that reaches the outer atmosphere is absorbed at the Earths surface? A.20% B.30% C.50% D.70%
Test on Chapters 15 and The ozone layer is located in the A.stratosphere. B.troposphere. C.thermosphere. D.mesosphere.
Test on Chapters 15 and By which method does most thermal energy in the atmosphere circulate? A.conduction B.convection C.advection D.radiation
Test on Chapters 15 and In which wind belt is most of the United States located? A.westerlies B.northeast trade winds C.southeast trade winds D.doldrums
Test on Chapters 15 and Explain why air rises when it is heated.
Test on Chapters 15 and If Boat B sailed with the prevailing westerlies in the Northern Hemisphere, in which direction would the boat be traveling?
1. This map shows the locations of low–pressure and high–pressure belts across North and South America. Why is pressure low at the equator relative to pressure at 30°N or 30°S latitude? A. Cold air sinks at the equator and causes an area of low pressure. B. Cold air at the poles rises and causes an area of high pressure. C. Warm air at the equator rises and causes an area of low pressure. D. Warm air at the poles sinks and causes an area of high pressure.
2. If the same amount of radiation hit the following surfaces, which surface would transfer the most thermal energy to the air above it? A.a maple forest B.a parking lot C.an ocean bay D.a corn field
5. Why is the top of the mesosphere colder than the top of the troposphere? A. There are fewer gases that absorb solar energy in the mesosphere. B. The troposphere is closer to the sun than the mesosphere is. C. Particles are far apart in the mesosphere, so they do not transfer energy. D. The mesosphere contains less ozone than the troposphere does.
7. Sammy feels an ocean breeze as he plays volleyball the beach. Why do ocean winds blow toward shore during the day? A. Earths rotation causes air to blow toward land. B. The energy of ocean storms pushes air toward shore. C. Air over the beach heats up, rises, and is replaced by ocean air. D. Ocean air is less dense, so it moves in to replace air over the land.
8. What is the relative humidity of air at its dew point? A.0% B.50% C.75% D.100%
10. High clouds made of ice crystals are called _____ clouds. A.stratus B.cumulus C.nimbostratus D.cirrus
11. Large thunderhead clouds that produce precipitation are called _____ clouds. A.nimbostratus B.cumulonimbus C.cumulus D.stratus
13. A maritime tropical air mass contains A.warm, wet air. B.cold, moist air. C.warm, dry air. D.cold, dry air.
14. A front that forms when a warm air mass is trapped between cold air masses and is forced to rise is a(n) A.stationary front. B.warm front. C.occluded front. D.cold front.
16. The lines connecting points of equal air pressure on a weather map are called A.contour lines. B.highs. C.isobars. D.lows.
33. Where are thunderstorms most likely to occur? Explain your answer.
34. What are the weather conditions in Tulsa, Oklahoma? Explain your answer.
1. The diagram above represents the meeting of two air masses. The air mass on the left formed over a polar region and the air mass on the right formed over a tropical region. Which type of front is pictured in the diagram? A.cold frontC.occluded front B.warm frontD.stationary front
5. Clouds are observed in a low pressure area over Georgia, and clear skies are observed in a high pressure area above Alabama. Which of the following is most likely to occur? A. Wind will blow the clouds in a westerly direction toward Alabama. B. The warm air will cause the clouds to evaporate. C. The clouds will move east, toward the Atlantic Ocean. D. A thunderstorm will occur between the two areas.
6. Which of the following events most likely occurred at 2:00 pm in the graph above? A.a cold front B.a warm front C.rain showers D.evaporations
7. Jane filled one glass with warm water and one with ice water. After 10 minutes, she observed that water drops were forming on the outside of the glass that contained ice water. What is the most likely cause of Janes observations? A. The ice water caused the air around the glass to cool to its dew point. B. The ice water caused the amount of water in the air to increase. C. The ice water leaked through the glass. D. The temperature of the warm water was below the dew point.
8. Which factor is most important to the decrease in a hurricanes strength as it moves from the ocean onto land? A.the uneven land surface B.the lack of warm, moist air over land C.rising hot air from the land D.sinking cool air over land Test on Chapters 15 and 16