Presentation on theme: "BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA DIGITAL TERRESTRIAL SWITCHOVER IN BANDS 174-230 MHz AND 470-862 MHz Emir Vajzović General Secretary DTT Forum Bosnia and Herzegovina."— Presentation transcript:
BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA DIGITAL TERRESTRIAL SWITCHOVER IN BANDS MHz AND MHz Emir Vajzović General Secretary DTT Forum Bosnia and Herzegovina.
CONTENT 1. DTT FORUM 2. OBJECTIVES OF DSO STRATEGY 3. MAIN CONCLUSIONS 4. FREQUENCY PLAN
BH DTT FORUM
DTT FORUM BiH Decision on establishing DTT Forum in 2006; Broadcasting Sector Policy (2007) DTT Forum Secretariat started in summer 2007; DTT Forum, Secretariat and WG, along with RAK experts had over 100 meetings; Numerous Conferences, Roundtables, Workshops,... 31/12/2008 – Strategy submitted to DTT Forum Council 17/03/2009 – After public consultations Strategy submitted to BaH Council of Ministers for adoption DTT FORUM Newsletter (16th release) DSO dedicated website –
DTT FORUM Newsletter
2. OBJECTIVES OF THE STRATEGY On the path of global trends, best European practice and international obligations of BH in this domain, goal of the Strategy is to determine optimal solution for fast and efficient digital switchover from analogue to digital terrestrial broadcasting.
2. OBJECTIVES OF THE STRATEGY Strategy provides guidelines, principles and criteria of DSO, in the interests of all parties within the communications sector and citizens of BH, including measures for stimulating communications sector development and ultimate usage of digital broadcasting.
3. THE STRATEGY – Main conclusions: Analogue Switch-Off in Bosnia Herzegovina will be on 01/12/2011. Digital terrestrial broadcasting in Bosnia and Herzegovina shall use DVB-T standard with MPEG 4 (H.264/AVC) compression system. Simulcast period will be as short as possible: Transitional phase (simulcast) will use two layers MUX A and B; (MUX A – PBS; MUX B – other broadcasters)
3. THE STRATEGY Public information / promotion campaign will be conducted; Protection of end users/consumers will be ensured; Stimulating framework for increased variety and quality of production and reduce program transmission / distribution cost in broadcasting sector will be provided;
3. THE STRATEGY Socio-economic aspects: Subsidy to residents – support citizens with vouchers to partially finance purchase of STB. This shall significantly speed up digitalization process and also increase collection of radio and TV taxes. In order to motivate digital terrestrial broadcasting transition and reduce expenses, TV broadcasters shall only pay the state levy for digital broadcasting, whilst in transitional period it will be free of charge for analogue broadcasting; The funds collected by of state levy for RF spectrum use shall be restructured and used as one of the finance sources for DSO process.
3. THE STRATEGY Digital dividend represents a new and significant source of revenues for each country. Available frequency resources released by introduction of digital TV and analogue SO shall be used in market oriented manner and directed towards users, private and commercial entities who will use them in the best possible way and therefore maximize the dividend. After the analogue SO relevant institutions will decide on use of digital dividend. Possibility for BiH to return funds invested in DSO process through use of digital dividend and obtaining additional profit.
3. THE STRATEGY Promotional activities: A well organized promotional and informative campaign is of the essence for overall success of DSO process, as experience of other countries has shown as well. Bosnia and Herzegovina has planned in the Strategy a set of promotional activities in order to ensure that timely and adequate information on DSO process is available to all citizens. The main objective of the campaign is to introduce a digital broadcasting concept to all citizens, its advantages, details on state subsidies and timelines, as well as to ensure timely penetration of STBs.
3. Digital plan of frequencies in BaH Assignment is based on Allotments (territory) Bosnia and Herzegovina has 9+1 Allotments, with 8 layers (SFN networks) at national level, with additional 2 layers for local coverage (municipality level). For transition period, 2 layers are planned on national level with H.264 – MPEG4. First layer for PBS, second for other broadcasters (not all broadcasters will cover all allotments – similar to current situation)
3. Digitalni plan frekvencija u Bosni i Hercegovini
Scheduled timeline During Strategy and Action plan to be adopted To initiate pilot project During Commencement of official transitional phase (simulcast) Commence subsidies and promotional campaign During Minimal coverage for MUX A and MUX B achieved 01/12/2011 – analogue switch-off