Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Understanding the English Proficiency Levels of ELLs Catawba County Schools 2010-2011.

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "Understanding the English Proficiency Levels of ELLs Catawba County Schools 2010-2011."— Presentation transcript:

1 Understanding the English Proficiency Levels of ELLs Catawba County Schools

2 English Language Proficiency English language learners in North Carolina are administered the ACCESS Language Proficiency Test developed by the WIDA Consortium on an annual basis. This assessment determines the students level of English language proficiency.

3 SSHS ESL Numbers 96 Limited English Proficient Students –95 Students Served by the ESL Program 164 National Origin Minority Students (Students who are classified as proficient in English according to federal assessment of language skills, not served by ESL.) 260 Total Language Minority Students Enrolled Total Membership at SSHS = approximately 1245 students.

4 SSHS Percentages LEP – 7.71% NOM – 13.17% Total Language Minority at SSHS – 20.88%

5 English Language Proficiency Levels ENTERINGBEGINNINGDEVELOPINGEXPANDINGBRIDGING REACHINGREACHING

6 ELP Levels: Performance Definitions

7 The Four Language Domains Listening - process, understand, interpret, and evaluate spoken language in a variety of situations Speaking - engage in oral communication in a variety of situations for a variety of purposes and audiences Reading - process, interpret, and evaluate written language, symbols, and text with understanding and fluency Writing - engage in written communication in a variety of forms for a variety of purposes and audiences

8 WIDA Can Do Descriptors Describe how English language learners process and use language for each language domain and level of language proficiency by grade level cluster. (PreK-K) (1-2) (3-5) (6-8) (9-12) Designed to support teachers by providing them with information on the language students are able to understand and produce in the classroom. Provide an opportunity to link language development across all academic content areas.

9 Testing Accommodations Eligibility for testing accommodations is based on the students level of English language proficiency. –ELLs must be identified as limited English proficient to be eligible. –ELLs must have a score less than 5.0 on the reading subtest to qualify for accommodations on Reading EOG Math EOG Science EOG High School EOCs VOCATS examinations. –ELLs must have a score less than 5.0 on the writing subtest to qualify for accommodations on state writing assessments.

10 Purpose and Philosophy of Testing Accommodations Provide for equalization, not performance enhancement. Accommodations should be consistent with instructional practice. LEP students who do not receive ESL Services are still eligible for instructional and testing accommodations. Work with your ESL teacher and testing coordinator to ensure that accommodations are appropriate and allowable. Standard administration is essential. The need for accommodations must be documented in the LEP Educational Plan.

11 Accommodations Available for Use by Limited English Proficient Students: -Testing in a separate room -Scheduled extended time -Multiple test sessions -Test administrator reads test aloud in English (non-reading tests only) Administrator reads the test verbatim in English. Administrator does not provide explanation or answer questions -Student Reads Test Aloud to Self -Use of English/native language dictionary or electronic translator The dictionary or electronic translator is word-to-word/phrase. It may not contain written notes, formulas, diagrams, examples, or sample sentences. It must be approved in the school system prior to its use during state tests.

12 Alternate CTE (VOCAT) Post- assessments for LEP Students LEP students who qualify for alternate assessments under the State testing program also qualify for an alternate CTE Post-assessment. An alternate CTE Post-assessment is created by the CTE teacher. An LEP student qualifies for an alternate assessment if he/she meets both of these criteria: –Is enrolled in a U.S. school for 2 years or less, and –Scores below Level 4.0 on the most recent reading subtest of the W-APT (WIDA- ACCESS Placement Test) or the ACCESS for ELLs® English language proficiency assessment. The ESL teacher, LEP Coordinator, or Testing Coordinator can verify if an LEP student meets the alternate assessment criteria.

13 Accommodations Checklist

14 Scheduling ELLs for ESL Determine Service Model (Noted on LEP Educational Plan) –Co-Teaching –Pull-Out –Scheduled ESL Class –Refusal of Services –Consultative Services Team Decision and Appropriate Documentation


Download ppt "Understanding the English Proficiency Levels of ELLs Catawba County Schools 2010-2011."

Similar presentations


Ads by Google