Presentation on theme: "Latin a very old language that few people speak today many words and languages developed from Latin The languages of Spanish and Portuguese are developed."— Presentation transcript:
a very old language that few people speak today many words and languages developed from Latin The languages of Spanish and Portuguese are developed from Latin. An example of a word from Latin is hospital Latin word = hospitalis means guest
* An imaginary line that divides the globe in half
A hot region near the equator. Tropics
Equator * The top half of the globe, above the equator * The bottom half of the globe, below the equator
* Hot all the time * Gets more sunlight for a longer time than any other part of the world * Very rainy
* Thick forests found near the equator * Grow where the climate is very hot and very wet * The largest tropical rain forest is in South America. * Smaller tropical rain forests can be found in Central America and on islands in the Caribbean Sea.
* How high the land is
* People who live in Latin America that are both white and Indian. There families were from Europe and were Indians
* A nation with a low standard of living and not much industry. * In the cities, most people work at service jobs or in factories. * Many people who live in Latin America are farmers.
* Farmers who work on small farms. * They try to grow enough food to feed their families.
* Huge farms that grow cash crops * Only a few people own plantations * Many poor people work on plantations
* Latin America * Caribbean Sea * Central America * Mexico * Middle America * Andes Mountains * Amazon River * Portugal * Venezuela
* A person who follows the Catholic religion * Today most people in Latin America are Catholics
1. What kinds of landforms and climates are in Latin America? 2. What kinds of people live in Latin America? 3. What kinds of jobs do people have in Latin America?
4. What is the longest river in Latin America? Where is it located? 5. What is a large mountain chain in South America? Where is it located?