Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

The lessons from MARAC Jan Pickles. National Averages as of July 2010 National Picture Regional Picture Number of MARACs sending in data 245 20 Number.

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "The lessons from MARAC Jan Pickles. National Averages as of July 2010 National Picture Regional Picture Number of MARACs sending in data 245 20 Number."— Presentation transcript:

1 The lessons from MARAC Jan Pickles

2 National Averages as of July 2010 National Picture Regional Picture Number of MARACs sending in data Number of cases discussed 43,624 3,629 Number of children associated with cases discussed 59,238 4,564 % MARAC repeats 21.33% 21.82% % Non police referrals into MARAC 33.41% 19.00% % BME victims 12.29% 9.84% % LGBT victims 0.63% 0.32% % Victims with Disability 2.13% 1.49% % Male Victims 3.25% 2.59% National & Regional Picture (July 2010) Jan Pickles

3 Public Protection – the links Injury to animals Child Protection Domestic Abuse Sexual Violence Kidnap/siege taking Homicide Jan Pickles

4 The Cardiff Model Fastracking Advocacy Shared understanding of Risk assessment Information Sharing –M.A.R.A.C. Specialist Courts Jan Pickles

5 Repeat Victimisation Jan Pickles

6 Victim Confidence Jan Pickles

7 2002 Welsh Assembly Gov. Review of Part 8 cases (10) 7 cases non-accidental death 3 cases serious harm 10 cases inadequate ass of risk 9 cases inadequate inter- agency communication 7 cases pattern of violence 6 deaths under 16 months Jan Pickles

8 Child protection. Jan Pickles

9 Role of IDVA Consistent service across U.K.based on risk assessment. Case manage ensure victim and children receive a co-ordinated premium service from criminal and civil courts, health, housing, education, social services, employer, cafcass etc. Keeping a victim and children safe in their own home, job, school and community. Jan Pickles

10 The Criminal Justice System Streamline Fastrack Prioritise Jan Pickles

11 The Process Police call out Police Officer puts the case together File preparation unit Crown Prosecution Service Cardiff Magistrates Court Probation Service Post-sentence-prison liaison Jan Pickles

12 One Stop Interventions Risk Assessments Safety Audit Target Hardening Track in Criminal Justice System Advocacy Counselling/Therapeutic referrals Data Collection Research Jan Pickles

13 Prior to Marac Victim contacted by W.S.U.offered practical support and safety planning Offered target hardening Offered Police watch Offered cocoon watch Occurrence Marker on Police computer Intelligence package by DAU to Sector Inspector Jan Pickles

14 Marac Names, addresses, D.O.B. of victim, children and perpetrator circulated 8 days prior with brief minutes of last meeting MARAC attendees are middle managers in organisations statutory and voluntary who e mail out to frontline staff for up date Info shared case action planned atMARAC Managers e mail out actions to frontline asap Agencies e mail in once action complete Case only is re-MARACd following further incident Jan Pickles

15 Evaluation of MARAC process 63 % victims interviewed had not experienced further violence or abuse at 6 month point. At 12 month point this falls to 42%. The other 58% call police earlier, they have confidence the C.J. system can deliver. Jan Pickles

16 Impact Cardiff MARAC was evaluated by Dr Robinson – reduction in repeats by 42% in the first year Safety in Number (2009) – 7/10 women who received support from an IDVA reported no further violence Saving Lives, Saving Money (2010) – 60% of high risk victims reported no further violence after receiving support from a IDVA and MARAC Jan Pickles

17 issues Can you share information without consent? If not what safe mechanism can you create to share the small pieces of information ? Can you create systems triggered by repeats ? What does risk look like? Risk and need –is their a shared understanding? Who will fund up –releasing staff Who will deliver safety packages ? Jan Pickles


Download ppt "The lessons from MARAC Jan Pickles. National Averages as of July 2010 National Picture Regional Picture Number of MARACs sending in data 245 20 Number."

Similar presentations


Ads by Google