Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Against Domestic Violence and Abuse – ADVA Partnership, Devon www.adva.org.uk Devon’s response to domestic violence & abuse as the context for the REPAIR.

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "Against Domestic Violence and Abuse – ADVA Partnership, Devon www.adva.org.uk Devon’s response to domestic violence & abuse as the context for the REPAIR."— Presentation transcript:

1 Against Domestic Violence and Abuse – ADVA Partnership, Devon Devon’s response to domestic violence & abuse as the context for the REPAIR programme Dartington 2007 Roy Tomlinson and Rachel Martin

2 Against Domestic Violence and Abuse – ADVA Partnership, Devon Individual Child Perpetrator Friends Community Family Neighbours Immediate Network Primary Agency Contact Safety Planning Process Police CPS PPO Courts Probation Substance Misuse Agencies Perpetrator Programmes Family Support Prison Employer Housing Health Police IDVA CPS Courts Civil Solicitor Substance Misuse Agenices Women’s Safety Worker Benefits Agency Social Services Women’s Aid Refuge Employer Housing Health CAFCASS Schools Voluntary Sector Educational Welfare Youth Offending Team Child Protection Agencies Educational Psychology Nursery/Child Care Social Services Health Agency Risk Assessments CDRPLCJB CYSP CDRP

3 Against Domestic Violence and Abuse – ADVA Partnership, Devon £60m Cost in Devon Domestic Violence and Abuse related costs GP visits : £16,591, % A&E related: £3,744, % CP cases : £103,140 55% of cyp in care : £162,250 a week 26% of CIN : £123,864 a week 898 Homeless acceptances : £177,844 8,600 incident investigations : £1,780,000

4 Against Domestic Violence and Abuse – ADVA Partnership, Devon Meeting Need - Women 7.4% of annual victims supported by Women’s Aid 13 FTE staff support 2,000 women for £465,000 To manage need in Devon requires 24 outreach staff and 10 idvas

5 Against Domestic Violence and Abuse – ADVA Partnership, Devon Meeting the need - children 30.4% cyp in need supported by Women’s Aid 1.5 FTE MARAC cyp & 2.5 FTE refuge cyp at £131,000 To meet need 6 idvas & 2.5 FTE refuge

6 Against Domestic Violence and Abuse – ADVA Partnership, Devon Why focus on men and their behaviour? Historical and institutional context Criminal Justice System : 96.4% of dv incidents did not lead to conviction –869 incidents, 222 arrests, 60 charged, 31 convicted, 4 custodial sentences The CJ system treats non-domestic violence more seriously in terms of custodial sentences (Hester) Men are seeking help from agencies but are not being referred to appropriate services

7 Against Domestic Violence and Abuse – ADVA Partnership, Devon REPAIR in Devon Community Perpetrator Programme Programme for men (risk assessment; one to one; group) Support for women (face to face, phone & pattern changing group work) Support for cyp (individual sessions) Supervision (fortnightly, 2 hours) Agency awareness (to increase referrals)

8 Against Domestic Violence and Abuse – ADVA Partnership, Devon REPAIR Programme 5 modules, each module has six sessions. The focus of the 5 modules is on the following forms of abusive behaviour: 1) intimidation, coercion and threats 2) emotional abuse 3) male privilege 4) sexual abuse 5) using children and abusive parenting Programme flexibility enables depth. The belief is that to generate genuine change to our identity is an emotional as well as a cognitive process.

9 Against Domestic Violence and Abuse – ADVA Partnership, Devon REPAIR key messages so far Reaching men early in their cycle of abuse Women’s safety increases as new catchment group who continue with support Risk-assessment critical to measure motivation and potential success Inter-agency panel improves joint management of risk in the community and criminal justice system

10 Against Domestic Violence and Abuse – ADVA Partnership, Devon Implications The unit cost £8,000 per annum Is this a more cost-effective family intervention model than supporting one child in need, per year, costing £6,240? Potential for differential programmes/interventions based on assessment & risk 22% of men referred reach the full programme. What about the other 78%?

11 Against Domestic Violence and Abuse – ADVA Partnership, Devon Perpetrator ‘types’ Group 1 – ‘one incident’ group. One dv incident recorded by police (31.4%) Group 2 – ‘mainly non-dv’ group. One dv incident, arrested for non-dv offences (17.4%) Group 3 – ‘dedicated repeat dv’ perps. A number of dv incidents recorded, but no other offences (17.4%) Group 4 – ‘all round repeat offenders’. Had a number of dv incidents recorded, and also been arrested for non-dv offence (33.8%)

12 Against Domestic Violence and Abuse – ADVA Partnership, Devon Contact Details


Download ppt "Against Domestic Violence and Abuse – ADVA Partnership, Devon www.adva.org.uk Devon’s response to domestic violence & abuse as the context for the REPAIR."

Similar presentations


Ads by Google