Presentation on theme: "Enterprise Develop Agency/Ministry of Planning and Investment"— Presentation transcript:
1 Enterprise Develop Agency/Ministry of Planning and Investment Ministry of Planning and Investment (MPI) Enterprise Development Agency (ASMED) Policies to Strengthen Viet Nam’s SME capacity in the Global Economic Crisis Pham Thi Hong Trang (MS) International Cooperation OfficialSeoul, 8/2009
2 Content Overview on Viet Nam’s economy SME in Viet Nam Major Problems Government Policies
3 Overview on Viet Nam’s economy SME in Viet NamMajor ProblemsGovernment Policies
4 Viet Nam Viet Nam is located in the Eastern part of the Indochina peninsula, bordering China to the North, Laos and Cambodiato the West with a long land border of 4,550 km, and facing theEastern Sea (South China Sea) and the Pacific to the East andthe SouthClimate: Vietnam lies in the tropics and monsoonTopography: Three quarters of Vietnam's territory consist ofmountains and hillsAdministrative Units: Vietnam is divided into 63 provincesand cities.Population: about 86,5 million people (Density 260 ppl persquare kilometer.Language: Vietnamese. Capital: HA NOI. Currency: DONG
5 Overview on Vietnam economy Compare to the first quarter 2008 Enterprise Develop Agency/Ministry of Planning and InvestmentOverview on Vietnam economy Compare to the first quarter 2008Industrial output increase 2.4%.Agricultural output increase 0.9%;Total sale in service sector increase 21.9%;GDP in 1st quarter 2009 is 3.1% (compared to 7.4% in 2008)
6 Overview on Vietnam economy Compare to the first quarter 2008 Export turnover is US $4.7 billion, decrease by 15% compare to the first quarter 2008.Import turnover is $4.3b, decrease by 45% compare to 2008;Total committed ODA capital is US$26.23m;Total newly FDI registered capital is $1.2m, equivalent 30% the same period in the previous year;
7 Overview on Vietnam’s economy Main figuresThe first 6 months in 2008The first 6 months in 20091GDP (%)6.53.9Agriculture, Forestry, Fishery Sector (%)3.041.25Industry and Construction Sector (%)7.003.48Service Sector (%)7.605.52Industrial output (%)16.54.8Agricultural output (%)4.52.53Export turnover ( billion US$)29.727.64Import turnover ( billion US$)44.5
8 Overview on Vietnam economy Main figuresThe first 6 months in 2008The first 6 months in 20095Total committed ODA capital (million US$)6Total newly FDI registered capital (billion US$)16.24.77Number of newly registered enterprise35,04741,100Total newly registered capital (billion VND)291,743170,000
9 Overview on Viet Nam’s economy SME in Viet NamMajor ProblemsGovernment Policies
10 Enterprise Develop Agency/Ministry of Planning and Investment New SME Definition Decree 56/2009/ND-CP on Supporting for the development of small and medium-sized enterpriseSectorSuper small enterpriseSmall enterpriseMedium-sized enterpriseThe numberofemployeesTotal capitalThe number ofI. Agriculture, forestry and aquaculture<10< 20 Billion VND< 200< 100 billion<300II. Industry and ConstructionIII. Trade and Service< 50< 50 billion<100SME are categorized into three levels, namely super small enterprises, small enterprises, medium-sized enterprises, operating in three main sectors according to the first level branch in the Vietnamese system of economic branches. Such categorization is based on either of two criteria, namely total capital or annual number of employees (total capital is the main criteria) specifically as follows:
11 Overview on SME in Viet Nam Enterprise Develop Agency/Ministry of Planning and InvestmentOverview on SME in Viet NamTotal number of registered SME: around 41,100SME present around 97% of total enterprisesSME create around 3 million jobs, account for 40% GDP and 29% export value with growth rate of 18%/yearRegistration is steadily rising since simplification of procedures and introduction of new laws
12 Number of Enterprise by Legal Form Enterprise Develop Agency/Ministry of Planning and InvestmentNumber of Enterprise by Legal FormSOEs ,363 4, , ,086 3,720Non-State 55,237 64,526 84, , ,392FIEs , , , ,697 4,220Private sector account for the majority of enterprise. I mention it because more than 20 years ago the State enterprise dominated the country’s economy.
13 Overview on Viet Nam’s economy SME in Viet NamMajor ProblemsGovernment Policies
14 Major problems with SME Lack of recognition of the great impact of globalization, the international and regional integration processHave a small scale, have limited capital, a small number of employees.Lack of information on input markets.Limitation in market access; the quantity of products manufactured by SME is small in scale, mainly for domestic use, and even for very small local areas.
15 Major problems with SME Weaknesses in science and technology capacity and unskilled workersConstraints in relation to linkages between business and production unitsUnprofessional Internal management of SMELack of transparency in financial management
17 Enterprise Develop Agency/Ministry of Planning and Investment SME technology capabilityMost SME use backward technology, 3-4 generation compared to average level of the worldMost SME use technology in 1980sLimited capability in technology research and innovationOnly 0.1% annual turnover is used for technology innovation (GTZ survey on 1200 enterprisesMost of Vietnamese enterprise are using backward technology compared to the average level of the world from 3 to 4 technological generations. Many SME are still using old equipments which were dismissed by State enterprises. In the fierce competition, SME find that problem extremely difficult.80% SME have no strategy to invest in science and technology
18 Enterprise Develop Agency/Ministry of Planning and Investment R&D activitiesLess than 5% SME implement R&D activities.There is no enterprise in insurance and ICT sector implement R&DTechnology innovation happen most often in garment and automobile sector(VCCI survey in 2006 in 8 sectors: Garment and textile, automotive,insurance, banking, ICT, sea transportation, fishery, electronic)There is less than 5% SME implement R&D activities, R&D mainly happen in large companies;There is no enterprise in insurance and ICT sector implement R&DTechnology innovation happen most often in garment and automobile sector
19 Capability in technology research and innovation Enterprise Develop Agency/Ministry of Planning and InvestmentCapability in technology research and innovation1% total cost used for R&D and 0.2% for technology innovation in all sectorsAlmost enterprise has no strategy and budget for this activitiesLess than 1% total cost used for R&D and 0.2% for technology innovation in all sectorsAlmost enterprise has no strategy and budget for this activities
20 Innovation rates (SME survey 2007 by CIEM, DOE, ILISSA) Enterprise Develop Agency/Ministry of Planning and InvestmentInnovation rates (SME survey 2007 by CIEM, DOE, ILISSA)The Table above shows a sharp decline in innovation rates between 2005 and Around 41% of enterprise in 2005 reported an introduction of a new product during the past 3 years. However, only 5% of firms in 2007 introduce new product.
21 Technology characteristics Enterprise Develop Agency/Ministry of Planning and InvestmentTechnology characteristics20052007Level of technologyOnly hand tools only10.37.7Manually operated machinery only3.55.0Power driven machinery only24.627.5All of the above61.659.8Age of technologyUnder 3 years old22.922.0Between 3 and 5 years old34.936.5Between 6 to 10 years old30.4Between years old9.512.5More than 20 years old2.31.5New or second handNew61.171.1Used34.124.4Self-constructed4.83.9This table shows some characteristics of the technology employed by Vietnamese manufacturing enterprise. In 2005 around 10% of enterprises only used hand tools in their production. This decreased 7.7% in The machinery and equipment used is fairly new. Over 85% is no more than 10 years old in the survey. Finally, more than 61% of all purchased technology was procured new in 2005, a number that increased to 72%. Recently theory suggests that enterprises which buy used capital goods are often the ones which are most severely credit constrained.
22 Demand for techno innovation by SME New investment Enterprise Develop Agency/Ministry of Planning and InvestmentDemand for techno innovation by SME New investment% enterprise has made investment% financed by own capital/retained earnings20052007All62.242.266.974.0Micro55.534.267.377.9Small72.456.369.371.8Medium76.769.457.161.2Urban56.538.672.170.1Rural66.645.264.076.5This table show that around 1/5 of firms make new investment each year. The probability of investing increases with enterprise size and urban enterprises invest less frequently than rural enterprises. It is reported that retained earnings were a major source of financing. Some 74% of new investments are financed using internal funds. This figure decrease with enterprise size, although medium sized enterprises still use 61% of their own capital in investment financing.
23 Demand for techno innovation by SME Investment purpose Enterprise Develop Agency/Ministry of Planning and InvestmentDemand for techno innovation by SME Investment purposeFigure show that 54% of investment are made to add capacity to production facilities. The second most important category is replacement of old equipment. Investments related to improvements in safety and environmental requirements remain a minor issue among Vietnamese SME.
24 Reasons for the inability of SME to access to technology
25 Major ProblemsExport market narrowed down and Export price decreased Factory closing Unemployment increaseExample: Fishery export turnover by 10.7%Footwear sector %Tex and Garment %Domestic market suffered from input cost.Q1 of 2009: 65,000 laborers lost jobs, 39,000 laborers partially unemployed, 3,000 laborers abroad returned home earlyDifficulty in accessing to supportive financial resources.Security Market go down and interest rate go upDifficulty in mobilizing capital.Real Estate Market is freezing
26 Overview on Viet Nam’s economy SME in Viet NamMajor ProblemsGovernment Policies
27 Enterprise Develop Agency/Ministry of Planning and Investment 1. Urgent measures to be taken - Government Resolution No. 30/2009/NQ-CP: financial incentivesSME can get the following benefits:30% CIT payable deduction for 2009.The remaining 70% CIT payable: 9 months extension for the deadline of submission of the tax payables for selected SME.For exporting enterprises: a refund of 90% input VAT. Obtaining the remaining 10% of VAT input refund once the payment documents are justified.Comprising many urgent measures, in which the banking sector plays a veryimportant role Under this resolution, SME can get the following benefits:(i) 30% CIT payable deduction for the 4th quarter 2008 and the whole year of 2009 regarding the income from the business activities.(ii) The remaining 70% CIT payable: An extension up to 9 months for the deadline of submission of the tax payables of 2009 for SME (the remaining 70% CIT payable) and the enterprises operating in producing and/or processing goods from agriculture, forestry, fisheries, textile and electronic parts.(iii) For exporting enterprises, they shall benefit a temporary refund of 90% input VAT for the exported goods without justifiable payment documents via bank on a case-by-case basis. They will continue obtaining the remaining 10% of VAT input refund once the payment documents are justified.
28 Enterprise Develop Agency/Ministry of Planning and Investment 2. Government's stimulus packagesThe first stimulus package: short-term lending (Prime Minister’s Decision 131): 4% interest rate subsidyThe second stimulus package: long-term lending (PM’s Decision 443): 4% interest rate subsidyFor agricultural and rural development (PM’s Decision 497): interest-free lending for agricultural machineries, 4% interest rate for agricultural inputs and materialsThe first stimulus package have been implementing from Jan 23, 2009 to Dec 31, 2009.The second VND17 trillion stimulus package have been implementing from April 1, 2009 to Dec 31, 2011, with the aim of providing businesses with long-term capital sources.During the first six months of 2009, SBV carried out the interest rate subsidy program in a prompt and comprehensive manner in line with Decision No. 131/QD-TTg of January 23, 2009, Decision No. 333/QD-TTg of March 10, 2009, Decision No. 443/QD-TTg of April 4, 2009 and Decision No. 497/QD-TTg of April 17, 2009 of the Prime Minister on providing banking loans to individual and corporate borrowers.4% supporting interest rates for borrowers (Decision No 131/QD-TTg and No 333/QD-TTg)An interest rate incentive of 4% for medium and long-term loans (Decision 443/QĐ-TTg)Decision No. 497/QD-TTg: interest support loans for procurement of machinery, equipment and material for agricultural production and construction material for rural housing development: provide interest-free loans for farmers and entities to buy fixed assets for production, such as agricultural machinery and vehicles. The loan period is 24 months. The program will also offer farmers a 4% interest rate subsidy on loans for a one-year term to buy fertiliser, pesticides and construction materials. The maximum budget for the program will be VND12 trillion ($700 million), which will come from the government stimulus package
29 Enterprise Develop Agency/Ministry of Planning and Investment 3. Government eases conditions for credit guaranteeBusinesses from all sectors that have charter capital of a maximum of VND20 billion (US$1.13 million), or employ less than 500 workers, are eligible for credit guarantees.Credit guarantee does not apply to consultancy, real estate, securities, services, or for loans to pay debt, but does apply to low-income and student housing projects or to build cemeteriesRegulations on credit guarantee for businesses have been loosened to create better conditions for businesses to access bank loans, according to a new decision issued by the Prime Minister.No 14/2009/QD-TTgBusinesses from all sectors that have charter capital of a maximum of VND20 billion (US$1.13 million), or employ less than 500 workers, are eligible for credit guarantees.Under the regulations, credit guarantee does not apply to consultancy, real estate, securities, services, or for loans to pay debt, but does apply to low-income and student housing projects or to build cemeteries
30 Short term measures to help SME over crisis Credit guarantee program for enterprise: 575 billion VND4% interest rate subsidy program: 85 banks participate; billion VND is disbursed;Subsidy interest rate for export lending is 2.9%;
31 Short term measures Tax policies To issue policies on tax delay, reduction and exemption (PIT, CIT and VAT);CIT: To reduce by 30% on CIT for SME. Reduction of 9,900 billion VND in state budget, 6,800 billion dong delay to 2010;VAT: 50% reduction in VAT for some goods (1,050 billion dong), reduction in state revenue of 1000 billion dong; delay up to 180 days for import goods;PIT: Delay in tax revenue is 1,600 billion (1st quarter 2009)
33 New Government’s Decree 56/2009/ND-CP on supporting for SME development New SME DefinitionSME Development PlanSupport Policies
34 GOVERNMENT DECREE On Supporting for the development of SME Scope of regulation:Prescribes the support policies and statemanagement on supporting SME development.Subject:Apply to SME, SME Support Organizations and StateManagement Bodies on SME development.
35 New SME Definition Decree 56/2009/ND-CP on Supporting for the development of small and medium-sized enterpriseSectorSuper small enterpriseSmall enterpriseMedium-sized enterpriseThe numberofemployeesTotal capitalThe number ofI. Agriculture, forestry and aquaculture<10< 20 Billion VND< 200< 100 billion<300II. Industry and ConstructionIII. Trade and Service< 50< 50 billion<100
36 Planning for SME Development Ministries, Provinces,OrganizationsSME development plan5-year PlanAnnual PlanOverall 5 yearSocio-Economic Development Plan
37 Enterprise Develop Agency/Ministry of Planning and Investment The State management body in SME development in localitiesRelevant Departments, OrganizationsDevelopment OrientationPolicies and legal documents formulationSupportive programs consolidationsInformationSupportive Programs Coordination, Guide and ExaminationMPI/ASMEDAnnual Report on SME developmentPeople’s CommitteesDPISME DevelopmentPlanThe People’s committees of the provinces and centrally-run cities shall support the development of SME in their respective localities with the following major tasks:Orientating the SME development work, formulating or taking part in the formulation of legal documents guiding the implementation of the Government’s on the promotion of SME in localities. Summing up and formulating the SME support programs, coordinating, guiding, and inspecting the implementation of support programs after the approval thereofOrganizing dialogues between local authorities and SME to exchange information, solve obstacles and difficulties of SME; commend and reward craftsmen, businessmen and SME who have excellent achievements in business, creative in making product designs and job skills transfer.Making and sending the sum-up reports annually to the Ministry of Planning and Investment on the development of SME as well as problems to be settled.Collaborating with the relevant ministries, agencies, and organizations in the development of SME in their respective localities according to current regulations.2. The People’s Committees of the provinces and centrally-run cities shall assign the Department of Planning and Investment to be to focal point, which shall collaborate with other Departments and agencies in formulating the development programs and plans for SME in the sectors thereof to submit to the People’s Committees for approval, promulgation and direction for organization of implementation. Those provinces with the total number of SME over 3000 (excluding co-operative and household business) can establish a unit under the Department of Planning and Investment to carry out the functions and tasks on developing local SME.SME
38 GOVERNMENT DECREE On supporting for the development of SME 30/6/2009, Prime Minister issued Decree 56/2009/ND-CP and will beimplemented on 20th August, 2009”New definition of SMESupportive policies are in more detailEnhance the role of Enterprise Development Agency (ASMED): ASMED shall assist the Minister of Planning and Investment in performing the function of state management over SME development.The State management body in SME development in localities: Department of Planning and Investment (DPI) to be the focal point in formulating the development programs and plans for SME.SME development support plan: must be incorporated into the annual plan and 5-year plan of Ministries, agencies, localities, national economy plan with budget and solutions for implementation
39 Domestic SME policy trends and initiatives Facilitating SME’s access to financeSME accounting regimeHuman resource training support for SMETechnical and technological assistancePromoting market expansion
40 Domestic SME policy trends and initiatives Supporting local industry developmentSupporting SME’s access to informationBuilding up SME promotion institutional infrastructureImplementation of the SME Development PlanODA attraction: ODA commit capital for 2009 – 2010 is expected US$8-10 billion
41 Thank you very much Contact: Enterprise Development Agency Ministry of Planning and InvestmentNo 6B, Hoang Dieu Street, Hanoi, Viet Nam.Tel:Fax:
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.