Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Demography: Population Rural areas Mr. Nero – CGC 1D1.

Similar presentations

Presentation on theme: "Demography: Population Rural areas Mr. Nero – CGC 1D1."— Presentation transcript:

1 Demography: Population Rural areas Mr. Nero – CGC 1D1

2  What were your population pyramid predictions for 2050?? D/1950/

3 Where does our population live? YearUrbanRural 18511387 18812575 19516238 19817624 20018119 Urban VS rural in Canada

4  matedMap_e.cfm matedMap_e.cfm How and when did this happen?

5  Clustered  Scattered  Linear Review: Three types of settlement patterns

6  Long lots of Southern Quebec  Concession system in Ontario  Section system in Southern Prairies  What are these areas? What do they look like? How where they divided?! Advantages and disadvantages  Research in groups Textbook 227-230 Three groups: Settlements in Rural Canada

7  90% are living in concentrated areas along the border.  Where do the other 10 % of our population live? How much of our population lies within 600KM of the US border?

8 1. Resource based settlement  Settlement created as a result of a resource  Include forestry, fishing, mining and recreation  Occurred in Atlantic, Boreal Shield, Boreal Plain etc. 2. Service based settlement  Often based on transportation  Provides a variety of services which are needed by people in lightly populated areas  Can include gas stations, motels, post office and restaurants. Scattered Settlements

9  Brainstorm with the person beside you.  1 MINUTE What are the issues with scattered settlements?

10  Rural Depopulation is the decline in the population of rural areas and small communities. Rural Depopulation

11 1.Technology promotes efficiency thus fewer farms 2.Farm sizes increase and the number of farms decrease 3.Younger people are encouraged to leave for post secondary education 4.Due to small populations rural communities do not have a wide variety or number or services so more and more businesses leave and take the jobs and companies with them. Reasons for Rural Depopulation

12  Out-migration has become a fact of life in rural Newfoundland and Labrador. For almost every year since Confederation, the number of people leaving rural communities has far exceeded the number of those moving in. Most migrants are young adults and families with young children who move to urban centres in search of jobs or for better access to education, health care and other services. Those who remain are aging and there are often not enough year-round residents to support the maintenance of schools, churches, medical clinics, shopping centres, and other facilities residents of larger towns and cities often take for granted. One example of Rural Depopulation Taken from Newfoundland and Labrador’s official Heritage site

13  Although out-migration has long been a reality in rural Newfoundland and Labrador, it intensified during the 1990s after the collapse of the cod fishery deprived most small villages of their economic base. Between 1991 and 2001, the province's population dropped by 10 per cent – mostly due to the large- scale relocation of outport residents to other provinces and countries. Today, much uncertainty surrounds the future of rural settlements. Although tourism and small business will allow some communities to survive and even flourish, it is likely that others will eventually cease to exist.

14 Between 1954 and 1975, about 24,000 people abandoned more than 315 rural villages to live in large centralized communities. Although settlers expected to find employment at the mills, factories and other businesses created under Smallwood's industrialization policy, most ventures failed to generate much in the way of jobs or revenue. With unemployment no less a problem after resettlement than it was before, many rural people returned to the fishery.

15  “Rural Canada is economically unsustainable and that is futile to try and artificially sustain rural industries such as farming and resource based activities. Young people should be encouraged to leave, that subsidies designed to develop the rural economy should be eliminated and the government’s traditional role of providing public services in rural areas should be eliminated”  YOUR OPINION – 1 Paragraph, due at the end of the period. Your thoughts…

16  Many cities are bursting at the seams  Land inside the city is all used up and new developments spill out into the countryside  Always changing as cities continue to expand  Tomorrow: URBAN- City planning Urban-Rural Fringe


Download ppt "Demography: Population Rural areas Mr. Nero – CGC 1D1."

Similar presentations

Ads by Google