Presentation on theme: "Unit 11 Asking the Way Outdoors. Background Information 1. Boston( 波士顿 ) Boston is the capital of Massachusetts and New England’s largest city in the."— Presentation transcript:
Background Information 1. Boston( 波士顿 ) Boston is the capital of Massachusetts and New England’s largest city in the United States. The city is named for the English port in Lincolnshire. It is situated on a hilly peninsula, where the Mystic and Charles rivers flow into Massachusetts Bay. With one of the finest natural harbors in the United States, it is New England’s most important seaport.
2. The Old North Church( 老北教堂 ) It was built in 1723 in the Georgian style following Christopher Wren. In this rare and beautiful building---that is still an active Episcopal church ---art, history and faith meet in a special way.
It was from the steeple of the Old North Church that the two lanterns closely associated with Paul Revere were hung by Robert Newman, Church sexton, on April 18, 1775, igniting the War for Independence and leading to the birth of the United States. The Old North Church is part of the Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts.
New words and Expressions 1.church n. building used for public Christian worship 教堂 e.g. Many people came into the big church to celebrate Christmas. The Old North Church in the City of Boston is very famous in the United states
2.complicated a. made up of many interconnected parts. 结构复杂的 e.g. This complicated machine is made up of many different parts. This is so complicated a chart that few people can understand it.
3.finally ad. lastly; in conclusion e.g. Finally, I would like to say a few words. Thus the question was finally settled.
4.historic a. famous or important in history. 历史上著名的或重要的 e.g. This is an historic occasion. There are many historic spots in that city.
5.outdoors ad. in the open air; outside of doors e.g. It’s cold outdoors. In hot cities, such as Wuhan, some people sleep outdoors in summer.
6. passenger n. person traveling in a car, bus, train, plane, ship,etc, other than the river, the pilot or a member of the crew. 乘客 e.g. He noticed a middle-aged passenger. The passenger took a seat beside me as soon as he got on the bus. 7.petrol n. refined petroleum used to drive engines 汽油 e.g. You can stop and fill up with petrol at the next petrol station. American people say “gas” instead of “petrol”.
8.puzzle v. make (sb) think hard,; perplex 让 ( 某人 ) 动脑筋 ; 使困惑 e.g. Her reply puzzled me. He puzzled his brains to find the answer. 9.repeat v. say or write (sth) again once or more than once. 重复 e.g. She repeated what she had said. Now repeat the new words after me.
10.sailor n. member of a ship’s crew, esp. one below the rank of officer; seaman 水手 ; 海员 e.g. Sometimes “a good sailor” means a person who seldom becomes seasick in rough weather. Tom is a good sailor. 11. stay v. continue in a certain state. 维持某 状态 e.g. They stayed friends for years. The doctor told him to stay in bed and drink more water.
12. terminal n. building at the end of a railway line, bus route, etc. 终点站 e.g. All the bus come to the terminal and go in all directions. I’ll meet you at the terminal.
13. traffic n. vehicles moving along a road or street. 往来于街道的车辆 ; 交通 e.g. There’s usually a lot of traffic at this time of day. Look! A traffic accident happened over there.
14. on the corner place at which two lines, side edges, or surfaces meet 在拐 角处 e.g. A policeman found the lost boy on the corner of the street at night. We passed the bookshop on the corner.
Language points 1.Mark, a foreign sailor, is going back to his ship after he did some shopping in the city. 1)go back to= return 返回 e.g. When do you go back to school?
2)do some shopping 买东西，购物 do+some+V-ing 可以构成许多短语： e.g. do some cooking 做饭 do some cleaning 打扫房间 do some reading 读书 do some running 跑步 do some washing 洗衣服
2.The passenger terminal is straight ahead, right in front of you. right 为副词，常置于状语前，表示强调， “ 就 ” ， “ 正 ” 。 e.g. He was standing right beside me. Dick looked the man right in the eyes.
3. And how long is it going to take me to get there? It takes sb. some time to do sth. 花某人时间做 某事 e.g. It takes me half an hour to get there by air. 比较，同义词 spend 与 take, cost 之区别。 spend 主语通常是人，宾语可以是时间、金钱、 精力等。表示 “ 花 … 在 … 上 ” ，后加 on+ 名词或 in( 常省略 )+ 动名词，不用不定式。 e.g. He spends a lot of money on books. He spends a lot of time (in) reading books.
take 表示 “ 需要， 耗费 ” ，主语是 “ 事 ” ，常 跟双宾语。 e.g. It took us two hours to do the home work. The writing of the article took me three days.
cost 主要指花费金钱、时间、劳力、精力 等。不用人作主语。 e.g. How much does the DVD cost you? Writing a book cost us much time and labor.
4.Excuse me, officer. Can you help me? officer= police officer, 用作对男女警官的 称呼。 e.g. The officer looks very cool in the dark blue uniform.
5.In that case, you can take a taxi from the opposite side of the street. in that case= if that happens 如果是那样 的话 e.g. In that case, I have no more to say.
6.Just then somebody walked over us. just then=just at that time 就在那时，就 在这时候 e.g. We were leaving and just then a policeman came over to us. 比较： just now 刚才，前一会二；现在； 这会儿 e.g. Tom came in just now.
1. 单个的名词、形容词、动名词、分词等 作定语一般为前定语。 e.g. May I borrow your history book? He came into the reception room. He bought an expensive car. This kind of building material is rare. The approaching train is from Beijing.
2. 各种短语（不定式短语、分词短语、介 词短语和形容词短语）和从句作定语时， 一般都作后置定语。 e.g. He always has a lot of meeting to attend. We must try to get all the information needed.
Do you know the girl standing by the school gate? The key to the house is lost? We need a secretary full of sense of responsibility.
All present today are in high spirits. John is a person full of sense of responsibility. This is the best book I’ve ever read.
Passage B A Car Offering Directions 1. sigh: n. 叹息 2.terrible: adj. 可怕的 e.g. a terrible war 3. development: n. 发展 e.g. the rapid development of civilization
4. destination: n. 目的地 e.g. The airplane’s destination is Paris. 5. display: vt. 展示, 陈列 e.g. The art museum is planning to display the new paintings it has bought.
Road Signs and Street Nameplates 1.Private Park 2. No Camping