A History of Cleveland Square 1860- 1908 by Tarna Blackelm G.H.O.S.T. Chief Researchers Heidi and Keith Wilden
Southwest General Hospital G.H.O.S.T. Ghost Hunters of the Southwest and Texas
Short El Paso History El Paso County was established in March 1850. 1854 A military post called The Post opposite El Paso was established 1955 a settlement on Coons' Rancho called Franklin became the nucleus of the future El Paso, Texas.
1859 Anson Mills completed his plan of the town, calling it El Paso.
Cleveland Square 1860 – 1880 The history of Cleveland Square is one of Cemeteries, especially since there were three or four in the general area. 1859 - Simeon Hart owed the land west of Oregon 1861 He donated land for Confedrate Cemetery – Military Cemetery Public Cemetary - across Oregon Small cemeteries were scattered throughout downtown Before Hart's death in 1874, he permanently donated present day Cleveland Square and Carnegie Square to the army for a burial ground
Historic Cleveland Square 1880 - 1888 Modern Cleveland Square is between Missouri St on the North. Franklin St. on the south. Oregon on the East and El Paso on the West. 1883 1885 Land is empty - remains from the cemeteries has been moved to various locations
In 1902 Providence Hospital, is still a hospital in El Paso today, had its roots in care for tuberculars. Originally located at 617 N. Santa Fe (Upson and Santa Fe). Dr. Horsley from St Luke’s help found It
In 1904 the El Paso’s new permanent Library was build with a grant from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation along with public Funds. Built on the west side of Buckler Square, It was a dream come true for the Library assosction. At that time or shortly afterwards Buckler square was renamed Carnegie Square in honor of Andrew Carnegie. Main Library ca 1909 That should be the Excelsior Hotel in the background
Cleveland Square 1905/1908 Cleveland Square decorated for the presidential visit ca Ca 1908
YMCA built 1908-09, during the construction of the site for the YMCA human bones were unearthed at the corner of Missouri and Oregon. In 1980 more human bones were recovered from the same area next to Continental National Bank (601 N. Mesa).
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.