Presentation on theme: "Fill in the blanks for the missing steps in the experimental method. Step 1 = Make an Observation 1) Step 2 = ____________________________________ Step."— Presentation transcript:
Fill in the blanks for the missing steps in the experimental method. Step 1 = Make an Observation 1) Step 2 = ____________________________________ Step 3 = Perform Experiments 2) Step 4 = ____________________________________ Step 5 = Draw Conclusions - Repeat- 3) Step 6 = ____________________________________
Which term would describe the level of organization of living things shown in each of these pictures? 4) 5)6)
7) Who is responsible for the idea of natural selection of species?
Classify each of the following as biotic or abiotic. 8) ____ dragonfly11) ____ crab claw 9) ____ light12) ____ rabbit droppings 10) ____ sand 13) ____ water
Put the following terms in order from the lowest (simplest) level of organization to the highest (most complex/comprehensive) level of organization. #14 is simplest →#19 most comprehensive BiosphereSpecies OrganismCommunity PopulationEcosystem
20)Which of the following pairs of organisms belong to the same population? a.A dog and a cat b.A marigold and a geranium c.A human mother and her child d.A spider and a cockroach
21) The Chihuahua is a dog that exists because of a. natural selection. b. artificial selection. c. resistance. d. abiotic factors.
22) Humans have promoted the evolution of insects that are resistant to insecticides by a. trying to control pests with chemicals. b. using insecticides that are outdated. c. using the wrong insecticide. d. breeding more useful insects.
23) Which of the following is not true of an adaptation? a. It is an advantage to an organism in certain environments b. It increases an organism’s chance of reproducing. c. It increases an organism’s chance of survival. d. It decreases an organism’s chance of evolving.
24) Which of the following is an abiotic factor in an ecosystem? a. plants b. bacteria c. fungi d. water
25) Natural selection is the unequal survival that results from the presence or absence of a. cell walls. b. particular traits. c. learned behaviors. d. breeding.
26) Which of the following best describes a population? a. members of the same species living in the same place at the same time b. all the red birds in an area c. all types of organisms living in the same place d. all the members of the same species
27) The place that contains everything an organism needs is its a. community. b. species. c. habitat. d. population.
28) A desert ecosystem contains a. air. b. living things. c. sand. d. All of the above
29) Bacteria that are no longer killed by an antibiotic have a. evolved. b. developed unwanted adaptations. (unwanted to humans) c. developed resistance to the antibiotic. d. All of the above
30) Which of the following describes soil and temperature in an ecosystem? a. abiotic factors b. biotic factors c. unnecessary factors d. selection factors
31) Which of the following is part of an organism’s habitat? a. shelter b. food c. water d. all of the above
32) Some snakes produce a powerful venom that paralyzes their prey. This poison is an example of a. coevolution. b. an adaptation. c. a reptile. d. a biotic factor.
33) In an experiment, the factor of interest is called the a.control group. b.experimental group. c.hypothesis. d. variable.
34) The group that does not receive the experimental treatment in an experiment is the a.control group. b.experimental group. c.data. d.variable.
35) Which of the following is an ecosystem? a. vacant lot b. oak forest c. coral reef d. all of the above
36) The organisms most likely to belong to the same species are a. people at a football game. b. bacteria inside a person’s body. c. birds in a forest. d. organisms in a pond.
37) Which of the following statements about an organism’s habitat is not true? a. Most organisms can survive if they are taken away from their habitat. b. An organism’s habitat is the place where it lives. c. A habitat has specific characteristics that an organism needs to live there. d. A habitat contains biotic and abiotic factors.
38) The community of a pond is made up of all the a. biotic and abiotic factors. b. resources organisms need. c. habitats in and around the water. d. populations of fish, insects, and other living things
39) What essential characteristic does a good experiment have? a. A control group is given the experimental treatment. b. A single variable is tested. c. A control is used. d. both (b) and (c)