Presentation on theme: "Visible Models of Christianity IV"— Presentation transcript:
1 Visible Models of Christianity IV 1 Timothy 5:1-2
2 Treatment of Church Members “Do not rebuke an older man, but exhort him as a father, younger men as brothers, older women as mothers, younger women as sisters, with all purity.” 1 Timothy 5:1-2
3 Treatment of Church Members “Paul instructs Timothy (to the Pastors (s)), how to treat the various members in the Church:Older men as fathersYoung men as brothersA mature women as mothersYounger women as sisters, and with purity
4 Treatment of Church Members “Do not rebuke an older man, but exhort him as a father, younger men as brothers, older women as mothers, younger women as sisters, with all purity.” 1 Timothy 5:1-2
5 “Do not rebuke…but exhort him 1 Timothy 5:1-2 Επιπλεσσο [ep-ee-place'-so] 1)to strike upon, beat upon 2) to chastise with words, to chide, upbraid, rebuke
6 Treatment of Church Members Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing. Proverbs 12:18
7 Treatment of Church Members It has often been said that 10 percent of communication is verbal (actual content)and the other 90 percent of communication is nonverbal (tone and body language).
8 Treatment of Church Members example alone can't get the job done of “command[ing] certain men not to teach false doctrines any longer”
9 Treatment of Church Members A confrontation was brewing, and Timothy needed to know what to say and how to say it.As I urged you when I went into Macedonia—remain in Ephesus that you may charge some that they teach no other doctrine” I Tim. 1:3
10 Treatment of Church Members “Correction [discipline] is like medicine that always carries a certain measure of bitterness, and therefore it is undesirable” -John Calvin
11 Timothy needed to “exhort” [to come alongside of] those elders. This word has a sense of gentle asking, pleading, and encouraging.It is a word indicating that one is looking toward the future, not the past.
12 Crisóstomo wrote: by nature a rebuke is offensive when it has been directed to an older person, and when it has come from a younger person…prudence then is a requirement, gentleness in order not to offend.William Barclay
13 Treatment of Older Believers “Do not rebuke an older man, but exhort him as a father 2 older women as mothers”Eph 6:2-3 – “Honor” [prize, fix a valuation upon, revere]Deut 27:16 – “Cursed is the one who treats his father or mother with contempt” [despise, dishonor, make light]Prov 20:20 – “Whoever curses [to be trifling, light. YLT: “Vilifying”, spread negative information] his father or his mother, his lamp will be put out in deep darkness.”
14 Treatment of Older Believers “Do not rebuke an older man, but exhort him as a father 2 older women as mothers”HINDERENCES to Correction:Awareness of personal sinsLazinessFearA misunderstanding of Matthew 7:1--“Do not judge lestyou be judged.”Relative moralityUncertainty as to whether or not to correct
15 Preparation to Correct: 1. Is my life an example?1 Timothy 4:12, Paul exhorts Timothy to set an example of godliness.2. Do I have an adequate relationship with the person?3. Do I have the facts?Proverbs 18:13 states, “He who gives an answer before hehears, it is folly and shame to him.”Biblical communication is based on truth
16 Preparation to Correct: 4. Do I have the right motives and objectives?Your motive should be to obey God by loving your neighbor (Matt. 22:39).5. Do I have the right wording?Jesus says (Matt. 18:15) that we are to “reprove” our brother with a view to winning him.“Reprove” was a legal word used of a lawyer convincing the court of his case.6. Is it God’s time for me to go?7. Am I prepared to risk rejection and attack
17 1. Be as private as the wrong. How to Correct:1. Be as private as the wrong.If it’s a private matter, don’t correct the person in front ofothers. Don’t take someone with you at first if it is a strictly personal matter. Matthew 18:15-17Some matters require public confrontation. In Galatians 2:11-14, Paul confronted Peter “in the presence of all.” It was a public matter affecting many people, so Paul dealt with it publicly.2. Be cautious and wise.Paul tells Timothy to deal with the younger women as sisters “in all purity” (1 Tim. 5:2).
18 4. Be humble, not judgmental [be cautious of spiritual pride] How to Correct:3. Be direct and open4. Be humble, not judgmental [be cautious of spiritual pride]5. Be gentle, but firm.“Do not sharply rebuke” (1 Tim. 5:1). The word means, don’tstrike him with words. Don’t ride roughshod over the person.“Appeal” is the same word translated “exhortation” in 4:13. Itmeans to come alongside to help.
19 7. Be persistent if necessary How to Correct:6. Be able to point him to God’s Word and to the necessary steps toward restoration7. Be persistent if necessary
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.