Presentation on theme: "Matthew 28:18-20 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all."— Presentation transcript:
Matthew 28:18-20 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teach them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
1) One Another Relationships to be “Taught.” We need to have close relationships. Jesus gave us the example – close relationships. His method was not preaching to large crowds – more later.
Hebrews 3: See to it, brothers and sisters, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. 13 But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness. 14 We have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original conviction firmly to the very end. We need to have openness at heart level – feelings and allow vulnerability. Psalm 139
Pride Pride is the main reason openness is so difficult. Please turn to Rom 6:15-23 For most of us “teach them to obey” is more “help them to obey.” Sharing at emotional level is very hard for guys. This is where we need to get if we are going to be “teachable.”
3) Heart of a Child to be “Taught” Matthew 19: Then people brought little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked them. 14 Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” 15 When he had placed his hands on them, he went on from there.
“Teach” – Willing to be Taught Eph 4: 2-3 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. 3 Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. Humble & Open – To be taught one must be teachable. Patience Bearing with one another. Unity – key to one-an-other.
4) Confess to be “taught.” James 5:16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective. James 4:7 …. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Satan loves darkness.
5) Submit to be “taught.” Eph 5: speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, 20 always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. 21 Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ. Be willing to learn from others – especially brothers and sisters “in Christ.”
Submission – could be abused – but, we need to get back to Godly submission Voluntary humility to learn. Submission has been used incorrectly in the past – need to avoid this. Hebrews 2:12-14 again
Hebrews 3: See to it, brothers and sisters, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. 13 But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness. 14 We have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original conviction firmly to the very end. Encourage daily Partnership in Christ Humble and Submissive for it to be possible
We need to “Instruct” Rom 15:14 “I myself am convinced, my brothers and sisters, that you yourselves are full of goodness, filled with knowledge and competent to instruct one another.” We need to know the other person to “instruct” in many ways. We need to be instructed also - We need others to help us be spiritual.
6) Entrusted to Instruct II Tim 2:2 And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable people who will also be qualified to teach others. Timothy was an evangelist and was taught by Paul to form a “chain” of instruction.
Getting our minds “changed” – we need help Romans 12:2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. RSV “…so that you may discern what is the will of God— what is good and acceptable and perfect.” Heb 10:24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.
7) When teaching - love one another John 13:34-35 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Eph 4:32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. Grace
When teaching be a humble advisor Looking at Eph 4:2 again “Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.” All disciples of Jesus need to have others teach them and all of us need to learn to teach.