Presentation on theme: "1.give sth. away 2.put one’s mind to 3.break up 4.give up 5.contribute to 6.despite = in spite of 7.focus (n. or v.) on 8.bring sth. into being 9.close."— Presentation transcript:
1.give sth. away 2.put one’s mind to 3.break up 4.give up 5.contribute to 6.despite = in spite of 7.focus (n. or v.) on 8.bring sth. into being 9.close at hand 10.come to/reach an agreement
1. give sth. away If you have old furniture to give away, this is the number to call. Every month, he gives away some of his money to charity. (On your own) 這些雜誌和衣服將要贈送給那家孤 兒院 (orphanage) 的孩子們。 ______ ______________________________ ______________________________
2. put one’s mind to Once he puts his mind to one thing, he’ll do it as perfectly as possible. (On your own) 假如你全心專注於作業，你一定可 以在五點以前做完的。 __________ ______________________________ ______________________________
3. break up They decided to break up (=end) the meeting at 11 so that they could have an early lunch. (On your own) 在解散公司之前，他和所有員工開 了最後一次會議。 ______________ ______________________________ ______________________________
4. give up No matter what happens, never give up hope. He gave up smoking on his doctor’s advice. (On your own) 放棄吧要不然你會後悔的。 _______________________________
5. contribute to His parents’ support is the main reason that contributes to his success in the show business. (On your own) 他的出現大大地助長了她在舞台上 出眾的表現。 ___________________ _______________________________ _______________________________
6. despite/in spite of Despite the fact that she had a bad cold, she still finished her report on time. In spite of many difficulties, they founded a school for poor children in their hometown. (On your own) 儘管天氣不好我們在旅途中還是玩 的很開心。 _____________________ _______________________________
7. focus (n. or v.) on sth. Please focus all your minds on the following issue. This time his focus will be on environmental protection. (On your own) 他做的演講焦點特別擺在酸雨對我們日常 生活的影響上面。 He’s making a speech with _____________ the effect of acid rain __________________.
8. bring sth. into being When did he bring this wonderful robot into being? (On your own) 是 Thomas 和他的兩位學生一起創造出這 個長相滑稽的轎車。 ________________ __________________________________
9. close at hand Wherever he goes, he keeps a photo of his family close at hand. (On your own) 他總是有一本筆記本在手以便記下 他想到的點子。 _________________ _______________________________
10. come to/reach an agreement They finally came to an agreement that all applicants should have at least 3 years of experience in teaching. (On your own) 經過很長的討論後，她們仍未達成 任何協議。 _____________________ _______________________________
1.These magazines and clothes will be given away to the children in that orphanage. 2.If you put your mind to your homework, you are sure to finish it by 5. 3.Before breaking up the company, he held one last meeting with all his employees. 4.Give up, or you’ll regret it. 5.His appearance contributed greatly to her remarkable performance on the stage. 6.Despite the bad weather, we had a lot of fun on our trip. 7.a special focus on/ on our daily/everyday lives 8.It was Thomas and two of his students that brought this funny-looking car into being. 9.He always keeps/has a notebook close at hand so as to/in order to/to write down the ideas he comes up with. 10.After a long discussion, they still didn’t reach any agreement.