Presentation on theme: "Adult Bible Study Guide Jan Feb Mar 2014 Adult Bible Study Guide Jan Feb Mar 2014 powerpoint presentation designed by claro ruiz vicente"— Presentation transcript:
Adult Bible Study Guide Jan Feb Mar 2014 Adult Bible Study Guide Jan Feb Mar 2014 powerpoint presentation designed by claro ruiz vicente http://clarovicente.weebly.com
Adult Sabbath School Bible Study Guide An Appeal Dear User…. This PowerPoint Show is freely shared to all who may find it beneficial. While intended primarily for personal use, some find it useful for teaching the lesson in church. There are those, however, who add illustrations, change background, change fonts, etc. While their intention may be good, this is not right. Slide #1 says “designed by claro ruiz vicente.” For honest Christians, it is not necessary for another’s creation to be copyrighted in order to be respected. P LEASE U SE A S I S.
1 Disciples and Scripture 2 Discipling Through Metaphor 3 Discipleship and Prayer 4 Discipling Children 5 Discipling the Sick 6 Discipling the “Ordinary” 7 Jesus and the Social Outcasts 8 With the Rich and Famous 9 Discipling the Powerful 10 Discipling the Nations 11 Discipling Spiritual Leaders 12 Harvest and the Harvesters 13 The Cost of Discipleship Discipleship Contents
Discipleship Our Goal We will look at discipleship as the process by which we become followers of Jesus and, as such, better soul-winners.
Discipleship Lesson 9, February 29 Discipleship Lesson 9, February 29 Discipling the Powerful
Discipling the Powerful Key Text Acts 6:7 NRSV “The word of God continued to spread; the number of the disciples increased greatly in Jerusalem, and a great many of the priests became obedient to the faith.”
Initial Words The Ministry of Healing 213 “It is by no casual, accidental touch that wealthy, world-loving, world- worshiping souls can be drawn to Christ. These persons are often the most difficult of access. Personal effort must be put forth for them by men and women imbued with the missionary spirit, those who will not fail or be discouraged.”
Discipling the Powerful Quick Look 1. Respecting Secular Authority (Luke 20:25) 2. Respecting Religious Authority (Matthew 12:1-16) 3. Witnessing to Authorities (Acts 6:7)
Luke 20:25 NKJV “And He said to them, ‘Render therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s and to God the things that are God’s.” Discipling the Powerful 1. Respecting Secular Authority
Recognizing Human Government People have struggled to understand the role and function of government and how citizens should relate to it. What gives rulers the right to rule? What is the best form of government? Should people always obey their governments? If not, why not?
1. Respecting Secular Authority Recognizing Human Government Oppression and brutality characterized the Roman Empire during Christ’s time. Puppet governments permitted by Rome were probably worse than Rome itself. Yet, Jesus never advocated any kind of rebellion against this government, or even the withholding of taxes from it.
1. Respecting Secular Authority Recognizing Human Government “The people of God will recognize human government as an ordinance of divine appointment and will teach obedience to it as a sacred duty within its legitimate sphere. But when its claims conflict with the claims of God, the word of God must be recognized as above all human legislation.” —Testimonies for the Church 6:402.
How amazing that this man of power and influence (and a Roman, as well!) could show such deep faith when many who had so many more spiritual advantages spurned Jesus. Anyone can enjoy the centurion’s experience. This story should encourage those evangelizing among people in powerful positions. 1. Respecting Secular Authority The Centurion
Discipling the Powerful 2. Respecting Religious Authority Matthew 12:11-14 NKJV “ ‘What man among you who has one sheep, and if it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will not…lift it out? Of how much more value then is a man than a sheep? Therefore it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath.’ … Then the Pharisees…plotted against Him, how they might destroy Him.”
2. Respecting Religious Authority “Have You Not Read…?” Some of the most powerful and influential people with whom Jesus dealt were the religious leaders, many of whom were openly hostile to Him. Jesus always sought to be redemptive even of those powerful and influential people who would eventually condemn Him to death.
2. Respecting Religious Authority “Have You Not Read…?” Jesus referred to the Scriptures and even sacred history, appealing to what should have been common ground between them. He sought to bring the leaders to a deeper meaning of the law that they claimed to cherish and uphold so fervently and devoutly.
2. Respecting Religious Authority “Have You Not Read…?” Jesus then appealed to their most basic notions of decency and kindness, something that these men all should have related to. Finally, the miracles themselves should have spoken loudly to these influential leaders about the extraordinary Man among them.
Acts 6:7 NLT “So God’s message continued to spread. The number of believers greatly increased in Jerusalem, and many of the Jewish priests were converted, too.” Discipling the Powerful 3. Witnessing to Authorities
Judgment Day While Christ witnessed to make disciples, sometimes the outcome was vastly different from what He Himself would have wished. Stubbornly, they refused His entreaties, callously bypassing their final invitation to salvation.
3. Witnessing to Authorities Judgment Day Christ’s followers should recognize that measurable success may not always attend their efforts. The genuine disciple is faithful until death, not faithful until disappointed. Calling listeners to a decision separates wheat from chaff. The wheat is celebrated. The chaff is mourned. The harvest continues.
Seedtime precedes harvest. Christ had faithfully proclaimed the gospel. Missionaries had witnessed throughout Judea. Early converts no doubt helped to carry the message. When Christ personally conquered death, confirming His message, thousands of fence-sitters leaped into the kingdom. 3. Witnessing to Authorities Early Explosion
Discipling the Powerful Final Words The explosive potential of Jesus’ movement remained hidden during His earthly ministry. Following His resurrection, however, the kingdom erupted, evidenced by massive conversions, even among those in influential positions. The faithful planting was finally yielding its abundant harvest.
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.