Presentation on theme: "Knowing hypnosis backwards Practical exercises with scripts for the beginner. Dr. Wentzel Coetzer."— Presentation transcript:
Knowing hypnosis backwards Practical exercises with scripts for the beginner. Dr. Wentzel Coetzer
The 6 stages. Build rapport Test compliance Bypass critical factor/ induction Deepening (use imagination) Give suggestions Waken patient
So --- we will start from the back! (Knowing hypnosis backwards!)
6) Wake the Patient Outcomes: Turn all the previous unwanted suggestions off. Count from 1 to 5 Use up beat tempo and tone Ask patient to open eyes feeling refreshed awake and totally aware of what is happening around him.
6) Wake the Patient “In a moment I am going to count from 1 to 5 – when I reach 5 you will open your eyes feeling refreshed, awake and totally aware of what is happening around you. 1.. Starting to surface – you will keep all the suggestions that will help you and loose all the other suggestions.. 2.. Waking a little more and surfacing faster NOW 3.. And 4 and 5 – Feeling refreshed, awake and totally aware of what is happening around you”
5) Give suggestions Outcomes: Talk slowly Repeat suggestions In dentistry – especially suggestion of relaxation - Time passing fast and having a fun time - Jaw just being kept open Start with small, but easy to follow suggestions – work up to more demanding suggestions like pain- free / anaesthesia. – “circle of suggestion”
5) Give suggestions “And as you are breathing – slowly and deeply, you can start to relax – your shoulders – that’s great -- more and more – because you are such a [super] patient which means that you can relax even deeper – so deep that you might even enjoy your visit here with us even more – to the extend that you can move through time very fast – just like time that passess sooo quickly when you are having fun with your friends and because you are having so much fun, you can relax even more – now the muscles in your hand – while you keep your mouth rigidly wide open – because all the other muscles are soo relaxed which means that you can concentrate even more on your breathing – slowly and deeply – relax – your shoulders – that’s great – more and more …”
4) Deepener Outcomes Use imagination Can also use fractionation
4) Deepener “ I want you to now imagine that with every breath that you take – you are relaxing more and more” Just relax your shoulders now Relax those hands, Your stomach With every breath just relax more and more – deeper and deeper.” Fractionation - “In a moment, but not yet – I am going to ask you to open your eyes. When I say “SLEEP”, you can close your eyes again and go even 10X deeper than before --- Sooo, I will ask you to open your eyes – and soon afterwards say “SLEEP” to which you will close your eyes and go even 10X deeper than before.” Then do it. What happens if they do not close their eyes again? (Does not happen regularly) 1) gesture with your hands and repeat “Sleep” – 10 x deeper than before”. 2) Utilize whatever they are doing – if they are laughing – say “ and as you are laughing there – feeling those feelings of laughter just building up inside you – that’s good – just close your eyes to get even more of those good feelings – NOW – close your eyes – just deeper and deeper 10 times deeper.
3) Bypassing the Critical Factor -- Induction Outcomes There are many ways to bypass the critical factor: We will only concentrate on one technique. Start with focussing the mind then lead into: (Focussing the mind helps to cut out the outside interferences) – Check Mind model in action 1) Expectation
3) Bypass Critical mind “I would want you to now focus your attention on your breathing – just breath deeeep and sloooow --- innn and outtt – Just concentrating on breathing sloww and deep slowly inn and outtt and as you are focusing on your breathing just note how that already relaxes your mind. In a moment I am going to count to three – this will relax your body and as it relaxes your body, I want you to imagine a wave of relaxation flooding your whole body – just washing away all the tenseness and stress -- filling you with complete relaxation. 1 starting to imagine a small wave of relaxation – most probably in your stomach or chest area – where do you feel it most? 2 As that relaxation is growing you will become aware of it spreading further and further through your body – just allow your body to do this – do not try and force it – it will come naturally because you have relaxed in the past. Please indicate when you are ready using a finger of your choice. 3 You are now deeply relaxed – completely relaxed and with each breath that you take, your body will relax even more – and more. – just going deeper
2) Test Compliance Here we merely test if the patient will do as we ask them to do. If they do not comply – it means that we have not built enough Rapport. If they comply – we can continue with the “Bypass of Critical factor” / induction.
2) Test Compliance “Right John – let’s have a look at your teeth – I am going to tilt the chair back – please lie back and relax into the headrest. Please turn your head right – a little to the left – open a bit wider close a bit more (adjust the light a bit and shine into patients eyes as you do so) You might find it more pleasant to close your eyes now – most patients prefer to do so. Yes – please close your eyes – thank you very much. I am going to anaethetise now and you will become aware of a little rubbing sensation on the gums as I rub some ointment onto the gums. – that’s great! (If eyes shoot open – do not use syringe yet – just continue with the topicale anaesthetic – smile and start conversation of how relaxing a walk in the park / beach / forest was for you Please close your eyes again.
1) Building Rapport Matching and mirroring Body posture Speech ○ Tonality ○ Pace Establish artificial time constraints Accommodate non-verbals Sympathy or assistance theme Ego suspension Validate others Listening Thoughtfulness Ask – How when and why? Connect through quid pro quo Gift giving Manage expectations