Presentation on theme: "Theoretical overview Dr. Wentzel Coetzer"— Presentation transcript:
1Theoretical overview Dr. Wentzel Coetzer Basics of hypnosisTheoretical overviewDr. Wentzel Coetzer
2The 6 stages. Build rapport Test compliance Bypass critical factor/ inductionDeepening (use imagination)Give suggestionsWaken patient
31) Building Rapport Matching and mirroring Body postureSpeechTonalityPaceEstablish artificial time constraintsAccommodate non-verbalsSympathy or assistance themeEgo suspensionValidate othersListeningThoughtfulnessAsk – How when and why?Connect through quid pro quoGift givingManage expectations
42) Test ComplianceHere we merely test if the patient will do as we ask them to do.If they do not comply – it means that we have not built enough Rapport.If they comply – we can continue with the “Bypass of Critical factor” / induction.
6Things that make compliance easier. People are more likely to comply when they believe that they share something in common with the person making the request.When group affiliation is important to people, they are more likely to comply with social pressure. For example, if a college student places a great deal of importance on belonging to a college fraternity, they are more likely to go along with the group's requests even if it goes against their own beliefs or wishes.The likelihood of compliance increases with the number of people present. If only one or two people are present, a person might buck the group opinion and refuse to comply.Being in the immediate presence of a group makes compliance more likely.
7Things that we can ask the patient to test compliance Turn head this way – then that wayOpen mouth – Little wider – little more closedEtc. etcThen ask them to close their eyes
83) Bypassing the Critical Factor -- Induction There are many ways to bypass the critical factor: We will only concentrate on two: Start with focussing the mind then lead into: (Focussing the mind helps to cut out the outside interferences) – Check Mind model in action1) Expectation2) Shock
9Mind model - focus Judgmental Reactive Analytical Critical FOCUS on breathingImagination
10INDUCTION - Expectation Use the words: In a moment I am going to do X Y Z and you will experience ABCReason why it works: - In next slide
11Mind model - Expectation JudgmentalReactiveAnalyticalCriticalBecause you are expecting it – you cannot be critical yet – however the subconscious mind will prepare itself as if it has already happenedImagination
12INDUCTION - Shock How to do it? Setup – I think I can help you – would you let me?Why does it work?
13When shock happens – the critical mind “Freezes” Mind model - ShockJudgmentalReactiveAnalyticalCriticalWhen shock happens – the critical mind “Freezes”Imagination
144) Deepener Use imagination Use words : “ I want you to now imagine that with every breath that you take – you are relaxing more and more” Just relax your shoulders now Relax those hands, Your stomach With every breath just relax more and more – deeper and deeper.”
15Mind model in action Judgmental Reactive Analytical Critical By stimulating the imagination, we are forcing the patient to use the subconscious mind – this forces the patient into a hypnotic trance.Imagination
16Give suggestions Talk slowly Repeat suggestions In dentistry – especially suggestion of relaxation Time passing fast and having a fun time Jaw just being kept openStart with small, but easy to follow suggestions – work up to more demanding suggestions like pain-free / anaesthesia. – “circle of suggestion”
17Circle of suggestionWorld viewExperienceImaginationPhysiology
18Mind model in action Judgmental Reactive Analytical Critical Imagination
19In Summery: Rapport: Judgmental Reactive Analytical Critical Allowing you access. Start to bypass Critical mind.JudgmentalReactiveAnalyticalCriticalBypass Critical MindFocusExpectationShockDeepenerUse imaginationCompliance testEye closureImagination
20Circle of suggestionWorld viewExperienceImaginationPhysiology
216) Wake the patient Turn all the previous unwanted suggestions off. Count from 1 to 5Use up beat tempo and toneAsk patient to open eyes feeling refreshed awake and totally aware of what is happening around him.“In a moment I am going to count from 1 to 5 – when I reach 5 you will open your eyes feeling refreshed, awake and totally aware of what is happening around you.1.. Starting to surface – you will keep all the suggestions that will help you and loose all the other suggestions..2.. Waking a little more and surfacing faster NOW 3.. And 4 and 5 – Feeling refreshed, awake and totally aware of what is happening around you”