2a. Listen and write each person’s name under his picture. No nameJoe Dave
2b. Listen again. Who says each of the phrases below? D N J J D N _____ a costume party _____ my alarm went off _____ stayed up all night _____ was exhausted _____ really embarrassed _____ the other kids showed up
2c. Groupwork What happened to Dave on April Fool’s Day? Well, a friend invited him to a costume party. When he got there, he found that his friend had fooled him.
1.The plane will land in ten minutes. 2. The reason he told is so convincing that the boss totally believed him. get onto the ground worth of trusting or believing 3a. Before reading, Guess what the underlined words mean.
3. The police revealed the truth after long time’s research. 4.It is announced in the broadcast that the meeting will be put off. to show, let people know tell sth publicly
1. The aliens from Mars landed on the earth. 2. There were not many people who believe the story told by Welles. 3. There will be no spaghetti because farmers in Italy don’t want grow it. F F F Read the three stories and decide whether these sentences are true or false.
4. People were fooled by the reporter. 5. The TV star’s girlfriend will marry him. 6. People don’t like the famous star after the joke. T F T
After reading, which story do you think is the most believable? Why? Which is the least believable? Why? Get into groups and think of as many reasons as you can to support your opinion. Then show it to the whole class.
1 The first story really happened. The radio program was called “The War of the World”.
Explanation 1. Some words can go in more than one column. more than 在这里相当于 over, 意为 “ 多于 ” ， 此时多和数词连用。例如： There are more than twenty people. 相关链接 more than 还相当于 not only ，意为 “ 不仅仅，不只是 ” ， 用来修饰名词。例如： The musuem is more than a museum. It is a school.
2. The other kids showed up. show up 意为 “ 出席，到场，显露 ” ，相当于 arrive, be present. 例如： Why didn’t you show up yesterday? 3. Welles was so convincing that hundreds of people believed the story, and panic set off across the whole country ．
(1)convince(convinced, convinced) ，动词，意 为 “ 使确信，使信服，使人明白 ” 。例如： What she said convinced me I was mistaken. How can I convince you of her honesty?
(2) so…that… 句型中, so 后面应加一个形容词 或副词，意为 “ 如此 …… 以至于 …… ” ， 引导结果状语从句。 e.g. This book is so interesting that everyone in our class wants to read it.(so ＋ adj.) e.g. He ran so fast that I couldn’t catch up with him ． (so+adv.)
相关链接 so that 主要用来引导目的状语从句。其从 句中的谓语动词通常和 can, may, should 等情态 动词连用, 而且主句和从句之间不使用逗号, 意为 “ 以便, 使能够 ” 。 e.g. They set out early so that they might arrive in time. e.g. Let’s take the front seats so that we may see more clearly ．
(3) set off 意为 “ 出发, 开始 ; 引爆；衬托 ” 。 e.g. He will set off on a journey around the world ． 相关链接：与 set 有关的词组 (1) set about sth. 开始，着手 I must set about my packing ． (2) set sb. against sb. 使某人和某人竞争、对抗 Set yourself against her ． (3) set in 开始 The rainy season has set in ． (4) set out 出发，启程 set sth. out 展示，陈列 They set out at dawn ． (5) set up 建立, 设立 The memorial will be set up ．
4. She was thrilled, because she really wanted to get married ． (1) thrill 为动词 “ 震颤, 使激动 ”, 多用于被动语态 be thrilled, 表示 “ 很感动，受到震颤的 ” 。 e.g. We were thrilled with joy. (2) marry 为动词 “ 嫁, 娶, 结婚 ”, 表示 “ 嫁给 某人 ” 或 “ 娶了某人 ” 都可以用 marry sb. 另外, 词组 get married 意为 “ 结婚 ”, 但这是 一个延续性动词, 即它不能跟表示一段时间
的词连用。 be married 也可以用来表示 “ 结婚 ”, 它是一个 延续性词组, 可以与表示一段时间的词连用，常 与介词 to 连用，不用 with, 即 be/get married to sb. e.g. John is going to marry Jane. Henry didn’t marry until he was over fifty ． When are you going to get married? We have been married for ten years ．
单项选择 ( )1. When Li Ming hurried home, he found that his mother ____ already ____to hospital. A. has; been sent B. had; sent C. has; sent D. had; been sent ( )2. Han Mei told me she _____lunch, so she was very hungry. A. has had B. hasn't have C. have had D. hadn't had ( )3. By the end of 1976, many buildings _____built in the city. A. have been B. have C. had been D. will D D C
( )4. She _____her keys in the office so she had to wait until her husband ____home. A. has left; comes B. had left; would come C. had left; came D. left; had come ( )5. He said that it was at least ten years since he _____a good drink. A. had enjoyed B. was enjoying C. have enjoyed D. have been enjoying ( )6. The meeting _____when Mr. Wang _____to school. A. has begun; get B. has been on; get C. had begun; got D. had been on; got C A C
Homework Write a magazine story about Nick in activities 2a and 2b. Use the notes on Page 80.
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.