Presentation on theme: "Look at the new words in the box. absence acquaintance anniversary apology awkward brunch cautious clerk customer fax firm fool haircut hostess human."— Presentation transcript:
Look at the new words in the box. absence acquaintance anniversary apology awkward brunch cautious clerk customer fax firm fool haircut hostess human being interrupt mature messy motto outspoken pregnant saleswoman shortcoming tease typist
1. a place of work 2. people or jobs 3. thing you say or write Find words for: firm acquaintance clerk customer fool hostess human being saleswoman typist apology motto
4. personal characteristics/appearance awkward cautious mature messy outspoken brunch 6. meal 5. a physical state pregnant
Answer the questions about the words above. 1. When is the next important anniversary in your life? 2. Do people ever tease you? 3. Can you think of a personal motto?
4. When was the last apology you have given or received? 5. What are you cautious about? 6. Do you know anyone who is outspoken?
Work in pairs. You’re going to read a story about a sales woman. Discuss what kind of small talk you need as a statesperson.
Read the passage and answer the questions. 1.What did Esther often do when she spoke to others? 2. What do you think are “the basic rules of social communication”? She put her foot in it (she said something embarrassing). To be polite and not to embarrass people.
Because she didn’t want to say her age. She said she wasn’t pregnant. 3. Why did the customer look awkward when she was asked how old she was? 4. How did the typist contradict Esther?
5. What was wrong about Esther’s advice to the salesman? Her advice was very insensitive as she told him that his wife was a fool and no one liked her. She wanted to know how much it cost. 6. What did Esther think of the clerk’s haircut?
He thought the office would be quieter without him. She thought he was ugly. 8. What did Esther think of her old school friend’s husband? 7. Why did the young man think the company gave him a new job miles away?
1. three things you can say when you make small talk Nice to meet you. Nice hair cut. I’d like you to meet my husband… Read carefully and find:
2. two things you should not say How old are you? How much did your haircut cost? 3. one way of replying to questions which you don’t wish to answer I’d rather not say.
1. Wonderful. aren’t they? (They’re wonderful, aren’t they?) 2. Been here before? (Have you been here before?) Look at the sentences. Notice how certain words are left out in informal conversation.
Now make complete sentences from the examples. 1. Language course? Are you taking (doing / going to do) a language course? 2. Staying long? Are you staying long?
3. Going anywhere nice? Are you going anywhere nice? 4. Lovely place. It’s a lovely place. 5. Go there a lot. I go there a lot. 6. Never been there. I’ve never been there.
1. As a consequence, she made systematic mistakes every time she opened her mouth. be ready to take / suffer/bear the consequences of one’s actions 准备承担自己行动的后果
in consequence 因此，由此 as a consequence 因此，结果 e.g. As a consequence of smoking, my father coughs frequently. 因为吸烟的缘故，我父亲经常咳嗽。 He studied hard, and in consequence he passed the exam. 他努力学习，因此通过了考试。
词汇扩展： ① adj. consequent (on/upon sth) 由 …… 引起的，随之发生的 e.g. the rise in prices consequent on the failure of the crops 由于农作物歉收而引起的物价上涨 ② adv. consequently=as a result/ therefore 所以，因而 e.g. My car broke down and consequently I was late. 我的车坏了，所以我迟到了。
2. Esther was never cautious about other people’s feelings. cautious 谨慎的，小心的 e.g. He is cautious in his choice of words. 他措辞很谨慎。 The boss is cautious about making promises. 老板对承诺持谨慎态度。
3. Notice how certain words are left out in informal conversation. leave out 省去，删去 e.g. We can leave out the second sentence. 我们可以省去第二句话。 She left out the date on the cheque. 支票上她漏写了日期。
leave 词组： leave behind 留下，忘记携带 leave for 动身去某地 leave school 毕业 leave sth. to / with sb. 把 … 交给 / 留给某人 leave sb. sth. 把 … 交给 / 留给某人 leave word / a message 留言，留信
根据句意及首字母提示完成下列句子。 1.In the a_______ of the manager, I shall be in charge of the company. 2. The new store across from the street has taken away most of my c________, and it is a great loss to my store. 3. The Finance Director was unable to attend the meeting and sent her a_______. bsence ustomers pologies
4. He was not my close friend; I made his a__________ at a party last weekend. 5. She is very m_______ about her success though she had a drawer of medals. 6. Next Monday is my parents’ 31st wedding a___________. cquaintance odest nniversary
用适当的介词或副词填空。 1.He has little acquaintance _______ Japanese, but he speaks English fluently. 2. Some of the players may, _______ occasion, break the rules. 3. Employers may become overly cautious _______ taking on new staff. with on about
4. May I ask a favor _______ you? 5. Just think about what you went _______ last time you gave up smoking. 6. The rain discouraged us _______ going out. of through from
根据括号内的汉语提示完成下列句子。 1.He didn’t realize that he had ______________________ ( 说错话 ). 2. ____________ ( 缺少 ) sunlight made it difficult to take good pictures. 3. _________________ ( 由于 ) smoking, my father coughs frequently. 4. _____________________ ( 真巧 ) he was born on his mother’s birthday. put his foot in his mouth The absence of In consequence of It was a coincidence that
5. I only ever use that machine __________________( 在特殊的场合 ) so it’s as good as new to me. 6. She ________ ( 漏掉 ) the date on the cheque when she filled in the form. 7. The dog may bite you if you __________ ( 一直挑逗 ) it. 8. Jim got an ___________________ ( 热情接待 ) when he returned home. on special occasions left out keep teasing enthusiastic reception
9. At the formal party John ________________ ( 看起来不自在 ) and out of place. 10. The job ______________________ ( 包 括国外旅行 ) for three months each year. looks awkward involves traveling abroad
Answer the questions and give reasons. 1. Is small talk important in your society? 2. Is it as important as “real” conversation? 3. Do you think small talk is more or less important in English than in your language?