Presentation on theme: "Passing Through the Great Basin. Put together Chapter 5 packet: Chapter 5 Study Guide Early U.S. Expansion notes Pioneers Groups Passing Through."— Presentation transcript:
Put together Chapter 5 packet: Chapter 5 Study Guide Early U.S. Expansion notes Pioneers Groups Passing Through Utah notes Donner Party notes Do NOT put the map in your packet!! Fremont Reading & Map/Timeline activity Where should your backpack be? This is a no gum class. Please dispose of it properly!
History Objective – We will prepare for the exam by reviewing the study guide. Behavior Objective – Participation & Work Ethic: We will listen to each questions, answer the ones given to us, and write the important details in our notes. Language Objective – We will listen to, give answers and write the important details from the activity.
Question #1 What contributions did the earliest pioneers to pass through Utah make to the people who came after them and Utah history? Question #2 Who was John C. Fremont and what were some of his contributions? Question #3 What does the term “Manifest Destiny” mean and how did this idea contribute to the settlement of Utah and the West? 1 st detail 2 nd detail 3 rd detail 1 st detail 2 nd detail 3 rd detail 1 st detail 2 nd detail 3 rd detail
20. Which countries (3 at least) claimed the land in the West? Mexico, Great Britain, U.S., Russia 1) 2) 3)
21. What country claimed Utah during this time? Mexico (formerly Spain)
19. What role did Miles Goodyear have in Hastings Cutoff, and how did this contribute to the future settlement of Ogden? He created Fort Buenaventura to supply pioneers on their way to California and the supplies he had there helped settlers get Ogden started.
16. Describe what happened to the Donner-Reed party They took the Hastings Cutoff to California, which wasted valuable time, and got snowbound in the Sierra Nevada. Some people become cannibals to survive.
17. What were some of the reasons the Donner-Reed party met with disaster? (3-4 reasons) -Left later in the year on their journey -Took the Hastings Cutoff -Cut a trail through Echo and Emigration Canyons wasting time -Were slowed by deserts in Nevada -Took time to rest before crossing mtns
18. Who was Patty Reed and what did she do? She was one of the Reed daughters who wrote a letter (primary source) about the Donner Party’s experiences.
15. Describe each of these groups with two facts about each of them. Bryant Party Group of men who rode mules through Hastings Cutoff to California
15. Describe each of these groups with two facts about each of them. Harlan-Young Group First group to take wagons through Utah’s mountains, cut a trail through Weber Canyon
15. Describe each of these groups with two facts about each of them. Lienhard Party Group of immigrants from Germany/Switzerland who wanted free land in Cali. Took Hastings Cutoff to get to California.
14. What was the Hastings Cutoff? A “short cut” to California promoted by Lansford Hastings that turned out to be longer and more dangerous than the regular California Trail.
13. Who was Lansford Hastings and what did he do? An American lawyer who went to California and wanted to take it from Mexico so he tried to encourage pioneer to go there with his book “An Emigrant’s Guide to California and Oregon”.
9. What was the nickname of John C. Fremont? Pathfinder
10. What was the purpose of his 1853 expedition? To find a route for the Transcontinental Railroad
11. What were some of Fremont’s contributions? Maps of the West; knowledge of plants, animals, soil
12. Who was Kit Carson and what did he do? A former Mountain Man who help guide John C. Fremont’s expedition through Utah and beyond.
5. The first known wagon train to cross northern Utah belonged to the _____________________ Bidwell-Bartleson Party
6. Mrs. _____________ ( with her baby daughter) was the first white women to enter Utah. Kesley
7. What were the two trails called people were using to go west from the U.S.? 1)Oregon Trail 2)California Trail
8. What were the names of the forts build to supply pioneers on their journey? 1)Fort Hall 2)Fort Laramie 3)Fort Bridger 4)Fort Kearney 5)Sutter’s Fort (Fort Sutter)
1. What did John O’Sullivan mean when he used the term “Manifest Destiny”? The U.S. had the right to take any land it wanted by buying it, getting it through a treaty, or through war.
2. Why were people moving from the East to the West? Free land, bad economy in the East, disease, better climate in the west, Manifest Destiny
3. Who originally made the trails that the pioneers were using Native Americans
4. How did the pioneers learn about the trails? Mountain Men had “discovered” them and guided many pioneers on the trails.
Take out your study guide. Finish the essay outline. Be ready to start the test when the bell rings. Where should your backpack be? This is a no gum class. Please dispose of it properly!
First: Complete the essay. Second: Turn in your completed essay in your box. Third: Get an ipad and log into Canvas. Take the Chapter 5 test. Fourth: Turn in your study guide and notes. If you finish everything, check your grades and redo the counties test if necessary. Then put the ipad back and read a book.
Beaver Box Elder Cache Carbon Daggett Davis Duchesne Emery Garfield Grand Iron Tooele Uintah Utah Wasatch Washington Wayne Weber Juab Kane Millard Morgan Piute Rich Salt Lake San Juan Sanpete Sevier Summit