Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

So you want to be a vet! Bachelor of Veterinary Science.

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "So you want to be a vet! Bachelor of Veterinary Science."— Presentation transcript:

1 So you want to be a vet! Bachelor of Veterinary Science

2 Overview Life as a veterinarian Who can work as a veterinarian? Why become a veterinarian? What makes a good veterinarian? Areas of veterinarian work Where veterinarians work

3 Overview (cont) Becoming a veterinarian Can I become a veterinarian? School subjects needed Eligibility criteria for Vet School Selection criteria for Vet School

4 Overview (cont) Becoming a veterinarian (cont) About the BVSc degree Veterinary degree cost Life after graduation Related study options at Massey Find out more

5 Who can work as a veterinarian? By law, must be registered with the Veterinary Council of New Zealand Must have a degree in veterinary science recognised by the Veterinary Council Veterinarians can also become registered specialists with more study

6 Why become a veterinarian? It’s an awesome lifestyle Worthwhile contribution to society Highly respected and trusted profession High earning potential Broad range of work Travel opportunities

7 What makes a good veterinarian? Outstanding interpersonal skills Good analytical skills Common sense Experience with handling animals Realistic job expectations

8 Areas of veterinarian work Clinical practice Treating sick or injured animals Diagnosis of cause of disease Surgery Anaesthesia X-rays Disease prevention Vaccination Design health programmes for farm animals

9 Areas of veterinarian work (cont) Clinical practice (cont) Different types of clinical practice Dogs and cats Horses Farm animals  cattle  sheep  deer  pigs  poultry  other, eg. alpacas, ostriches Zoo animals

10 Areas of veterinarian work (cont) Other Food safety overseeing production of food from animals, eg. meat Biosecurity making sure exotic animal diseases don’t get into New Zealand Laboratories finding causes of diseases in animals Animal health companies developing and marketing veterinary medicines

11 Where veterinarians work Veterinary clinic companion animals (dogs and cats) Farm visits horses dairy cattle sheep beef cattle deer pigs poultry

12 Where veterinarians work (cont) Zoo or SPCA Specialist hospital or referral centre Government Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry (MAF) New Zealand Food Safety Authority Biosecurity New Zealand Government veterinarians can be based in office, food processing plant, port, other or combination Animal health industry Laboratory

13 Can I become a veterinarian? Definitely! So long as you... have common sense and lots of determination are relatively smart have a great work ethic like people as well as animals can communicate well

14 School subjects needed Chemistry Physics Biology (minimum of 14 credits across the 3 sciences) Mathematics (Calculus or Statistics) English (minimum NCEA Level 2 or English-rich subject)

15 Eligibility criteria for Vet School University Entrance or equivalent (info for 2011 University Entrance at Sit an ‘IQ type’ test called the Standard Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT type F) (more info Passed all four pre-selection papers of BVSc 1 Semester 1 (or equivalent from a NZ University) Complete at least 10 days veterinary work experience

16 Selection criteria for Vet School School Leavers Must be eligible for selection Weighted grade point average counts for 80% Recommendation of approximately an A- average to have a chance of being near the cutoff for selection. STAT F test counts for 20%

17 Selection criteria for Vet School (cont) Graduates or part-graduates Must be eligible for selection No limit on number of times you can apply for selection Two-year rule (grades obtained over last four full-time semesters of study count towards GPA) Three-year rule (if an applicant has had a break from university study for 3 years, then only grades obtained since re-starting full- time study are used in the GPA calculation) STAT F test - can be carry forward result or re-sit. If re-sit, then the new score is used; not the highest score

18 About the BVSc degree Massey is the only NZ University offering the bachelor of veterinary science degree Limited number of places and competitive Five-year duration Selection at end of first semester (pre-selection papers can be completed at campus in Albany or Palmerston North) Professional Phase of course in Palmerston North Extended final year of 40 weeks duration

19 About the BVSc degree (cont) Pre-selection (semester one) – 4 compulsory subjects Chemistry and living systems Physics for life sciences Biology of cells Biology of animals

20 About the BVSc degree (cont) Post-selection Normal structure, function and management (Anatomy and Physiology) Abnormal structure and function (Pathology) Causes of abnormality Microbiology Parasitology Toxicology Return to normal Medicine Surgery Pharmacology

21 About the BVSc degree (cont) Post-selection Preventive medicine and enhancement of performance Personal wellbeing and self-care Veterinary professional studies Law Business Ethics Management

22 About the BVSc degree (cont) Post-selection Must pass all papers each year to move to the next year Course includes lectures, seminars, practical classes and working in the Veterinary Teaching Hospital Practical work 14 weeks of practical farm work 6 weeks of practical veterinary work

23 Veterinary degree cost University fees are approximately $9,054 for each year of BVSc degree (2010 figures) There are other associated course costs Practical work must be done which limits earning potential during holidays Scholarships are available

24 Life after graduation Can sit registration exams in United States and Japan Graduates are automatically registerable in New Zealand Australia United Kingdom South Africa Papua New Guinea

25 Life after graduation (cont) Job prospects are good Worldwide shortage of veterinarians Baby boomer generation retirement Starting salary package – approx $55,000 Great future earning potential (six figures + )

26 Related study options at Massey Bachelor of AgriScience Equine Studies Agriculture Bachelor of Science Animal Science Zoology Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science

27 Related study options at Massey (cont) Bachelor of Food Technology (Hons) Bachelor of Engineering (Hons) Bachelor of Veterinary Technology Diploma of Veterinary Nursing

28 Find out more Veterinary school website Veterinary Teaching hospital Massey University website massey.ac.nz


Download ppt "So you want to be a vet! Bachelor of Veterinary Science."

Similar presentations


Ads by Google