What's Next: 10 Realities and Opportunities Stacy Palmer, Editor The Chronicle of Philanthropy Minnesota Council on Foundations October 31, 2014 firstname.lastname@example.org; @stacypalmer
1. Beware the Foundation- Nonprofit Disconnect 31% of grantseekers: Foundations understand the needs of the people the charity serves 16%: Strategies grant makers push show understanding of people our group serves 87% want foundations to be more open about their own performance Fund for Shared Insight Rita Allen Fund: Feedback Labs
2. Get Rid of the Big Obstacles Foundations say breakdown of government and spending cuts biggest obstacle to their missions Hewlett's democracy effort Rockefeller's resilience push
3. Expertise Matters New foundation leaders: Not just outsiders any more Should foundation CEO's serve on grant making boards?
4. The Clamor for Candor, Especially About Failure Ford Foundation Failure: Case, Arcus Lean startup: Humanity United
5. Encouraging Smarter and More Generous Donors How America Gives – Minnesota No. 39; 2.64 percent of income donated – Minneapolis/St. Paul; 2.6% of income; 9 percent drop 2006 to 2012 Bank of America: People who know more give more Stanford's giving MOOC
6. The Demand for Measurement Communities Foundation of Texas: Data Driven- Decision Making Institute – Started with poverty groups, demand so high it repeated the effort – Now arts and education groups want the same Forum Network NFF Study: Only 1 percent say grant makers cover costs of gathering data Does focus on high performance undermine collaboration?
7. More Scrutiny Is On the Way NCRP: Philamplify Glass Pockets Inside Philanthropy Boston College and Congress: Endowments and payout
8. Where Does Money Go? Mission investing: Heron putting all its assets in one place Fossil fuel divestment: Rockefeller Brothers Fund Effective altruism: Are some causes more worthy and cost-efficient than others?
9. Spreading the Best Ideas Scaling Marketplace Social Innovation Fund Bush Foundation: Local coalitions Sustain the breakthrough groups; not what is new, but what's working
10. Making a Difference: Foundations to Learn From Haas Fund's Leadership Initiative – Social change leaders – Underdeveloped (fundraiser/CEO disconnect) Tow Foundation's advocacy work Laurie Michaels Open Road Alliance
Let us help you continue to learn Visit us online at http://philanthropy.com Philanthropy Today: Free daily e-mail updates Philanthropy This Week: Free weekly e-mail summary Send me email for great opeds on foundations and giving: Stacy.Palmer@philanthropy.com