Presentation on theme: "Once there was a wise old man. He could answer any question in the world. Everybody knew about him. One day two boys said, «We‘re going to fool that old."— Presentation transcript:
Once there was a wise old man. He could answer any question in the world. Everybody knew about him. One day two boys said, «We‘re going to fool that old man. We‘ll catch a bird, go to the old man and say, «We are holding something in our hands. Is it alive or is it dead?»
If he says, «Dead», we’ll let the bird fly, and if he says, «Alive», we’ll kill it». They caught a bird and they carried it to the old man and said, «We are holding something in our hands. Is it alive or is it dead?» And the wise old man looked at the young people and smiled. «It’s in your hands», he said.
1. Our planet is in danger. 2. Our planet will be in danger in the future. 3. If we don’t do anything, our planet will be in danger. 4. The future of our planet is in our hands. 5. We can't help our planet anymore.
Our planet is in danger
When we say the Earth is in danger, what exactly is in danger? 1. the planet 2. the climate 3. the oceans 4. the forests 5. the animals 6. all of these 7. all of these and you
THE WORLD AROUND US
Michael Jackson EARTH SONG
GREENPEACE - an international environmental pressure group, started in the 1960s in Canada. Has a policy of non-violent direct actions. Greenpeace message is «When the last tree is cut down and the last fish killed, the last river poisoned, then you will see that you can’t eat money.»
GREENPEACE Our … wants to … the environment. We fight against water and air …. Are you unhappy with the ecological … in your region? Send us some … about it and we’ll try to help.
GREENPEACE Our organization wants to protect the environment. We fight against water and air pollution. Are you unhappy with the ecological situation in your region? Send us some information about it and we’ll try to help.
Rewrite these sentences. Use the prefix re-. 1. Use this bag again. 2. The workers had to build this wall again. 3. We made a mistake. Count the people again. 4. This flat is very old. We must decorate it again.
Rob is telling his new friends about the environment in England. Guess the meaning of the underlined words. All of them are Friends. 1. We sort our rubbish: there are special containers for paper, tins, food, write glass, brown glass and green glass. After that special factories recycle these materials and people reuse them. 2. We never drop litter in the street. If somebody sees you, you have to pay a fine.
3. We never forget to turn off lights and water. Water, heating and electricity are expensive! 4. A lot of people use public transport. They don’t go by cars, because firstly, cars pollute the atmosphere and secondly, because it’s very difficult and expensive to park a car in a big city. 5. We clean up after our dogs with special pooper scoopers. If we don’t – the fine is £ 50.
6. Our winters aren’t very cold, so nobody wears fur coats. If you wear a fur coat, sometimes people from Greenpeace spray your coat with paint. «We mustn’t kill animals for clothes», they say. 7. When we go camping, we never make campfires. We use camping stoves. Find the words with re-, a synonym of the word litter, the opposite of turn on.
What can you save? Match the parts of the sentences. 1. If I sort my rubbish, 2. If I reuse my old exercise books, 3. If I don’t wear a fur coat, 4. If I always turn water off, a) I can save the environment. b) I can save the oceans, seas and rivers. c) I can save the forests. d) I can save the animals.
1. If I sort my rubbish, I can save the environment. 2. If I reuse my old exercise books, I can save the forests. 3. If I don’t wear a fur coat, I can save the animals. 4. If I always turn water off, I can save the oceans, seas and rivers.
Match the verbs with the nouns. Verbs protect drop pollute recycle go by pay Nouns the atmosphere a fine the environment public transport litter old containers
protect the environment drop litter pollute the atmosphere recycle old containers go by public transport pay a fine
Fill in the gaps with these words. There is one extra word. Factories, the Earth, litter, cars, recycle, turn on, public transport, turn off, the forests. Our promise The people of ________ will protect their planet. We will build special ______ and _______ our rubbish. Some people will not use their ________ and go by ________. Children will not drop ________ and will help clean _______. We will never forget to _______ electricity and water.
Our promise The people of the Earth will protect their planet. We will build special factories and recycle our rubbish. Some people will not use their cars and go by public transport. Children will not drop litter and will help clean the forests. We will never forget to turn off electricity and water.
Homework: ex 1 p 77 (How can you help the environment? Use the tree leaf from the Cut Out page and write a promise.) ex 3 p 40 (Choose the right answer.)
Friends of the Earth - an environmental pressure group. Founded in the UK in The aim of the group is to protect the environment. The main concerns are air, sea, river and land pollution. FoE has branches in 30 countries.
Write turn on or turn off. 1. I’ll … the TV because nobody is watching it. 2. … the radio! I want to hear the news. 3. You mustn’t forget to … the light. 4. Let’s dance. … the music.
1. I’ll turn off the TV because nobody is watching it. 2. Turn on the radio! I want to hear the news. 3. You mustn’t forget to turn off the light. 4. Let’s dance. Turn on the music.