Presentation on theme: "Apostrophes 1. In contractions 2. To show ownership."— Presentation transcript:
Apostrophes 1. In contractions 2. To show ownership
In contractions: is + not = do + not = can + not = have + not = will + not = did + not = isn ’ t don ’ t can ’ t haven ’ t won ’ t didn ’ t
In contractions: I + will = they + will = we + will = I + have = they + have = you + have = I ’ ll they ’ ll we ’ ll I ’ ve they ’ ve you ’ ve
In contractions: I + had = we + had = you + had = I + would = we + would = you + would = I’dI’d we ’ d you ’ d I ’ d we ’ d you ’ d
In contractions: she + is = he + is = there + is = we + are = they + are = you + are = she ’ s he ’ s there ’ s we ’ re they ’ re you ’ re John + is = John’s Mary + is = Mary’s the baby + is = the baby’s
In contractions: he’s = she’s = it’s = that’s = He is waiting for the bus. She is my sister. It is Monday morning. That is our dream.
1.Before going to class, we’ll study together. 2.Rhonda hasn’t made reservations for dinner. 3.Edgar couldn’t decide which shirt to buy. 4.The assignment doesn’t have a deadline. 5. For Mother’s Day, we’d like to buy roses. 6. We’re looking for a new apartment in town. 7. Joe’s the best friend I’ve ever had. we will study together. has not made reservations for dinner. could not decide which shirt to buy. does not have a deadline. we would like to buy roses. We are looking for a new apartment in town. Joe is the best friend I have ever had.
To Show Ownership (Single subject) the book that belongs to the student… the students book student ’ s book
the professors glasses a movies sound effects Michaels bicycle an airplanes engine the doctors opinion Sundays activities the professor ’ s glasses a movie ’ s sound effects Michael ’ s bicycle an airplane ’ s engine the doctor ’ s opinion Sunday ’ s activities
1. the branch of the tree = 2. the doll that belongs to Jane = 3. the car owned by my brother = 4. the radar of the satellite = 5. the banana of the monkey = 6. the roar of the engine = 7. the tooth that belongs to Dad = the tree ’ s branch Jane ’ s doll my brother ’ s car the satellite ’ s radar the monkey ’ s banana the engine ’ s roar Dad ’ s tooth
1. The dog that belongs to Francis = 2. The pizza that belongs to Chris = 3. The radio owned by Mr. Morales = 4. the illness that Luis had = Francis ’ s dog Chris ’ s pizza Mr. Morales ’ s radio Luis ’ s illness Francis ’ dog Chris ’ pizza Mr. Morales’ radio Luis ’ illness
1.The nightclubs D.J. was arrested. 2.During the chase, the suspects car crashed. 3.The kitchens appliances are brand new. 4. Iris friends gave her a surprise party. 5.Luckily, the jobs benefits are excellent. 6.A camels hump is not where water is stored. 7.On Ebay, an auctions closing date is posted. nightclub ’ s D.J. was arrested. the suspect ’ s car crashed. kitchen ’ s appliances are brand new. Iris ’ s friends gave her a surprise party. the job’s benefits are excellent. camel ’ s hump is not where water is stored. an auction ’ s closing date is posted.
1. John’s going to sell his book. 2. John’s book is not worth much. 3. Alice’s boyfriend left her. 4. She’s sad because her boyfriend left her. 5. The story’s ending made me cry. 6. The story’s got a sad ending. 7. The summer’s passing by too quickly. 8. The summer’s heat is draining my energy. 9. The clown’s just about to perform a trick. 10. The clown’s trick astonished the crowd. 11. My baby’s always in the car seat. 12. My baby’s car seat is facing backwards. John is going to sell his book. She is sad because her boyfriend left her. The story has got a sad ending. The summer is passing by too quickly. The clown is just about to perform a trick. My baby is always in the car seat.
To Show Ownership (Plural subject) the toys that belong to the cats… the cats toys cats ’ toys the cat’s toys
1. the parking spaces of the teachers = 2. the hard drives of the computers = 3. the dream of the girls = 4. the sticker price of the new cars = the teachers ’ parking spaces the computers ’ hard drives the girls ’ dream the new cars ’ sticker price
1. The tents of the campers were stolen. 2. The opinions of the workers shocked me. 3. The ice cubes of the drinks had melted. 4. The brakes of the skates failed to work. 5. The pie of the sisters won first prize. 6. The secretaries of the bosses had a party. 7. The belt loop of the pants was torn. The campers ’ tents were stolen. The workers ’ opinions shocked me. The drinks ’ ice cubes had melted. The skates ’ brakes failed to work. The sisters ’ pie won first prize. The bosses ’ secretaries had a party. The pants ’ belt loop was torn.