Presentation on theme: "The Louisiana Purchase Chapter 10 Section 2 1.The West in 1800 A. The “West” was land between the Mississippi Mtns and the Mississippi River B. The USA."— Presentation transcript:
The Louisiana Purchase Chapter 10 Section 2 1.The West in 1800 A. The “West” was land between the Mississippi Mtns and the Mississippi River B. The USA border ended at the Mississippi River 2. Spain and France kept negotiating that land back and forth
The Louisiana Purchase C. Pacific Coast was claimed by Russia/Spain/Britain
2. Napoleon and New Orleans A. Port of New Orleans was claimed by France then Spain then France again.
2. Napoleon and New Orleans B. Some think that Napoleon wanted to colonize North America 1. This made Americans mad 2. Some called for war
2. Napoleon and New Orleans C. Jefferson attempted to keep peace by offering to buy the Port of New Orleans
2. Napoleon and New Orleans D. Napoleon offered the entire Louisiana Territory 1. He did not want to fight America 2. Attempt to take over the west indies was not successful 3. Lost much $ fighting Britain
2. Napoleon and New Orleans E. Jefferson paid $15 million for the land 1. This doubled the size of the USA 2. TJ really didn’t know what he was buying
3. Lewis and Clark A.2 men are selected to guide a group to discover the land Corps of Discovery 1. Meriwether Lewis-officer in the army 2. William Clark other men 4. Sacajawea acted as a guide
3. Lewis and Clark B. Much scientific and geographic information was learned
3. Lewis and Clark 4. Zebulon Pike explored the southern part of the Louisiana Purchase.