Presentation on theme: "Weathering Notes Weathering: Breaking of rocks into Piece - Sediment."— Presentation transcript:
Weathering Notes Weathering: Breaking of rocks into Piece - Sediment
Mechanical Weathering: Crushing of Rocks. Chemical Weathering: Dissolving of Rocks.
6 things that Weather Rocks 1. Water 2. Plants 3. Wind 4. Temperature Change 5. Gravity 6. Glaciers
1. Weathering by Water: - Water pounds on rock, or grinds rock with sediment causing it to break. - Water freezes in the cracks of rocks. Expands and cracks the rock. - Water dissolves the minerals out of rocks causing them to weaken and break.
2. Weathering by Plants: Plant roots grow in rocks causing the rocks to crack.
3. Wind Weathering: Carries sediments that get blown into other rocks causing them to chip & break.
4. Temperature Change causes Weathering : Expansion and contraction from temperature change weakens and cracks rocks.
5. Weathering by Gravity: The pull of gravity can weaken and crack the rocks.
6. Glaciers Cause Weathering: Weight of glaciers scratch and crack rocks.