A gain of electrons causes a negative charge. A loss of electrons causes a positive charge.
- Electric Charge and Static Electricity Electric Charge Rule of charges: Charges that are the same repel each other. Charges that are different attract each other.
- Electric Charge and Static Electricity Electric Force An electric field is the area around a charged object where the object’s electric force influences other charged objects.
- Electric Charge and Static Electricity Electric Force The attraction or repulsion between electric charges
- Electric Charge and Static Electricity Transferring Charge There are three methods by which charges can be transferred to build up static electricity: charging by friction, by conduction, and by induction.
Rubbing two objects together to transfer charges
Charged object must touch the other object – BOTH objects gain a charge which is the same.
Charged object must come near, but NOT touch the other object – objects become charged oppositely.
- Electric Charge and Static Electricity Transferring Charge An electroscope can be used to detect the presence of a charge.