Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

The History of Grafton Created by Ms. Cindy Zozak Teacher, Grade Three Grafton Elementary School.

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "The History of Grafton Created by Ms. Cindy Zozak Teacher, Grade Three Grafton Elementary School."— Presentation transcript:

1 The History of Grafton Created by Ms. Cindy Zozak Teacher, Grade Three Grafton Elementary School

2 1670 Father Jean Claude Allouez was a Jesuit priest from Canada who traveleed here from Green Bay. He found many hardwood trees and a river here. He found many Native American Tribes living along the Milwaukee River. Father Jean Claude Allouez was a Jesuit priest from Canada who traveleed here from Green Bay. He found many hardwood trees and a river here. He found many Native American Tribes living along the Milwaukee River. Father Allouez traveled in Wisconsin talking to the Native Americans about his religion. He traveled all around Lake Superior and made a map of that area. Father Allouez traveled in Wisconsin talking to the Native Americans about his religion. He traveled all around Lake Superior and made a map of that area.

3 Until 1830 Small villages of Native Americans could be found in the area, especially along the Milwaukee River. The tribes included the Menomonee, Potawatomie, Sauk, Chippewa and Fox. Small villages of Native Americans could be found in the area, especially along the Milwaukee River. The tribes included the Menomonee, Potawatomie, Sauk, Chippewa and Fox.

4 1839 Timothy Wooden became one of the first permanent white settlers. He purchased 145 acres of land that became the business district in Grafton. Timothy Wooden became one of the first permanent white settlers. He purchased 145 acres of land that became the business district in Grafton. In 1846, he became the Justice of the Peace in the Town of Grafton. In 1846, he became the Justice of the Peace in the Town of Grafton.

5 1846 In 1846, Timothy Higgins built the first lime kiln to process limestone. Lime was processed and shipped to other cities on the Wisconsin Central Railway. The kilns continued operating until the 1920’s. Shown are a crusher house and an unusual limestone cart. The date of this photo is unknown. Three of the five kilns remain today at Lime Kiln Park.

6 Limestone is a rock composed of calcium, carbon and oxygen. When it is heated, the carbon escapes as carbon dioxide, leaving lime. The abundance of high magnesium limestone, called dolomite, in much of eastern Wisconsin played an important part in the development of many area communities. Limestone is a rock composed of calcium, carbon and oxygen. When it is heated, the carbon escapes as carbon dioxide, leaving lime. The abundance of high magnesium limestone, called dolomite, in much of eastern Wisconsin played an important part in the development of many area communities.

7 What was lime used for? Lime was used to Lime was used to whitewash buildings whitewash buildings to condition soil to condition soil treat animal hides and leather treat animal hides and leather for plaster and mortar. for plaster and mortar. Later, a stone crusher was added which was used primarily to crush limestone for road beds.

8 Port Ulao Port Ulao was founded in 1847 by James T. Gifford, an investor from Illinois. Gifford began a business of selling cords of wood to steamships heading down the lake. He built a 1000 foot wooden pier into the lake for ships to dock. He then constructed a chute down the side of a steep bluff to transport logs which farmers in the area produced while cutting down the local forests in order to create farmland. Port Ulao was founded in 1847 by James T. Gifford, an investor from Illinois. Gifford began a business of selling cords of wood to steamships heading down the lake. He built a 1000 foot wooden pier into the lake for ships to dock. He then constructed a chute down the side of a steep bluff to transport logs which farmers in the area produced while cutting down the local forests in order to create farmland. The same year, Gifford was granted a charter by the territorial legislature to build a plank road from Port Ulao west to the Wisconsin River. Only three miles were actually built, but this turnpike, now known as Ulao Road, became the basis of today's Highway 60. The same year, Gifford was granted a charter by the territorial legislature to build a plank road from Port Ulao west to the Wisconsin River. Only three miles were actually built, but this turnpike, now known as Ulao Road, became the basis of today's Highway 60.

9 This three story structure known as the Grafton Hotel was built in It included rooms, a saloon and a barbershop. This is a photo of the grand opening scene with a band performing on the balcony at the right. Grafton’s Hotel was the center of life in early Grafton and was know as the finest hotel in southeastern Wisconsin. It served as a resting place for travelers and as an outlet for purchasing steamship tickets.

10 Many communities held monthly farmers markets like the one shown here. This picture is from the late 1800’s. Many communities held monthly farmers markets like the one shown here. This picture is from the late 1800’s.

11

12 The chair factory was built in 1848 at the center of 12 th Avenue and Falls Road. The New York Recording Laboratories operated here from 1917 to 1932 and recorded under the Paramount label. Blues legends such as Charlie Patton, Skip James and Blind Lemon Jefferson recorded in Grafton. The Wisconsin Chair Company of Port Washington owned the building which was demolished in The chair factory was built in 1848 at the center of 12 th Avenue and Falls Road. The New York Recording Laboratories operated here from 1917 to 1932 and recorded under the Paramount label. Blues legends such as Charlie Patton, Skip James and Blind Lemon Jefferson recorded in Grafton. The Wisconsin Chair Company of Port Washington owned the building which was demolished in 1938.

13 Blind Lemon Jefferson Birth name: Birth name: Lemon Henry Jefferson Lemon Henry Jefferson Born: October 26, 1894 Born: October 26, 1894October October Origin: Origin: Coutchman, Texas, U.S. Coutchman, Texas, U.S. Coutchman, TexasU.S. Coutchman, TexasU.S. Died: December 12? 1929 Died: December 12? 1929 Singer-songwriter, Guitarist Singer-songwriter, Guitarist Singer-songwriterGuitarist Singer-songwriterGuitarist Years active: Years active:

14

15 Ma Rainey Gertrude Malissa Nix Pridgett Rainey, better known as Ma Rainey (April 26, 1886[1] – December 22, 1939), was one of the earliest known American professional blues singers and one of the first generation of such singers to record. She was billed as The Mother of the Blues. She did much to develop and popularize the form and was an important influence on younger blues women, such as Bessie Smith, and their careers. Gertrude Malissa Nix Pridgett Rainey, better known as Ma Rainey (April 26, 1886[1] – December 22, 1939), was one of the earliest known American professional blues singers and one of the first generation of such singers to record. She was billed as The Mother of the Blues. She did much to develop and popularize the form and was an important influence on younger blues women, such as Bessie Smith, and their careers.April [1] December AmericanbluessingersThe Mother of the Blues Bessie SmithApril [1] December AmericanbluessingersThe Mother of the Blues Bessie Smith

16 Lost Musical Treasures Watch the series on: History Detectives: Lost Musical Treasure Part I History Detectives: Lost Musical Treasure Part II Watch the series on: History Detectives: Lost Musical Treasure Part I History Detectives: Lost Musical Treasure Part II

17 One of the early industries in the Village of Grafton was a worsted mill, where woolen cloth was made from tightly twisted yarn and a grist mill where farmers feed was ground into flour. The woolen mill was bilt in 1880, near the excellent water source of the Milwaukee River. A large water wheel helped provide power. One of the early industries in the Village of Grafton was a worsted mill, where woolen cloth was made from tightly twisted yarn and a grist mill where farmers feed was ground into flour. The woolen mill was bilt in 1880, near the excellent water source of the Milwaukee River. A large water wheel helped provide power.

18 This two story limestone structure has classic Green revival elements in its architecture and was located at the corner of Wisconsin and Beech Streets. With the advent of the horseless carriage, this shop evolved into one of the community’s earliest service stations. Prior to Tillman's Garage the building housed a blacksmith shop. Today, Heinz Auto Body occupies this site. This two story limestone structure has classic Green revival elements in its architecture and was located at the corner of Wisconsin and Beech Streets. With the advent of the horseless carriage, this shop evolved into one of the community’s earliest service stations. Prior to Tillman's Garage the building housed a blacksmith shop. Today, Heinz Auto Body occupies this site.

19 This view is Wisconsin Avenue looking south, known as Downtown Grafton Square or the Village Square, approximately The old courthouse, at the left was built in 1884, and later turned into a hotel. Today, Paramount Restaurant occupies the building. Grafton Hotel is in the center and the building known as Schanen’s, on the right,. Grafton was originally known as Hamburg and functioned as the county seat for Washington County until divided into two counties—Washington and Ozaukee, in Later Grafton was known as Manchester, but switched back again to Grafton in This view is Wisconsin Avenue looking south, known as Downtown Grafton Square or the Village Square, approximately The old courthouse, at the left was built in 1884, and later turned into a hotel. Today, Paramount Restaurant occupies the building. Grafton Hotel is in the center and the building known as Schanen’s, on the right,. Grafton was originally known as Hamburg and functioned as the county seat for Washington County until divided into two counties—Washington and Ozaukee, in Later Grafton was known as Manchester, but switched back again to Grafton in 1862.

20 The Interurban Railway operated in Grafton from 1906 to the 1940’s. Blues recording artists used the train to come to Grafton to record at the Paramount recording studio located inside the Wisconsin Chair Factory. The electric interurban line from Milwaukee to Port Washington was built in 1906 and was extended to Sheboygan in This picture is from the early 1900’s and is shown over Highway 57. Photo courtesy of Ed Rappold. The Interurban Railway operated in Grafton from 1906 to the 1940’s. Blues recording artists used the train to come to Grafton to record at the Paramount recording studio located inside the Wisconsin Chair Factory. The electric interurban line from Milwaukee to Port Washington was built in 1906 and was extended to Sheboygan in This picture is from the early 1900’s and is shown over Highway 57. Photo courtesy of Ed Rappold.

21 This is the original Grafton State Bank building built in This 22 x 32 foot cream city brick structure cost $3,000 and was later leased to the Grafton post office. The bank was founded by Louis L. Zaun and was granted a state charter on November 21, Robert P. Zaun, Louis’ son, opened the bank for business on January 15, 1907 with temporary headquarters in the front parlor of a home on Bridge Street. This is the original Grafton State Bank building built in This 22 x 32 foot cream city brick structure cost $3,000 and was later leased to the Grafton post office. The bank was founded by Louis L. Zaun and was granted a state charter on November 21, Robert P. Zaun, Louis’ son, opened the bank for business on January 15, 1907 with temporary headquarters in the front parlor of a home on Bridge Street.

22 The second Grafton State Bank building was built in 1926 by Louis L. Zaun, then president. The lot, building furniture, and fixtures together cost less than $25,000. The second Grafton State Bank building was built in 1926 by Louis L. Zaun, then president. The lot, building furniture, and fixtures together cost less than $25,000.

23 Pictured here is the interior of the Grafton State Bank building, approximately late 1940’s. Behind the bullet proof glass is Robert P. Zaun, on the left, who was the first bank employee and was with the bank for 67 years until his death in On the right, is Ralph L. Zaun who began his career with the bank in 1944 and was president from 1973 to Pictured here is the interior of the Grafton State Bank building, approximately late 1940’s. Behind the bullet proof glass is Robert P. Zaun, on the left, who was the first bank employee and was with the bank for 67 years until his death in On the right, is Ralph L. Zaun who began his career with the bank in 1944 and was president from 1973 to 1998.

24 The current Grafton State Bank building was erected in 1975 at a coast of $2 million dollars. Standing 100 feet from ground level, the building is seven stories high and has 674 panes of mirrored glass that reflect the ever changing patterns in the sky. The current Grafton State Bank building was erected in 1975 at a coast of $2 million dollars. Standing 100 feet from ground level, the building is seven stories high and has 674 panes of mirrored glass that reflect the ever changing patterns in the sky.


Download ppt "The History of Grafton Created by Ms. Cindy Zozak Teacher, Grade Three Grafton Elementary School."

Similar presentations


Ads by Google