Presentation on theme: "In 1852 Hiram Lewis built a log cabin school house where the firehouse stands today. It was similar to the one pictured below. The first teacher was."— Presentation transcript:
In 1852 Hiram Lewis built a log cabin school house where the firehouse stands today. It was similar to the one pictured below. The first teacher was his daughter Celestia Lewis Van Arnam, who was 16 years old at the time. She was certified by Pat Sweetman, a local school supervisor. The log cabin was used for 5 years.
In 1857, a red framed school house, like the one pictured below, was built on the location of the old log cabin. This building represents the second school in Beaver Falls.
During the 1920’s the red frame school house was moved to the Wellington Walseman farm. The building was torn down and no longer stands today. The school is the building located between the two larger barns. The protruding building was a milk house added on in later years.
Around 1875 a third school was built in Beaver Falls. It was known as “ the school with the partition.” The partition served as a divider to separate the girls from the boys. The location of the school was moved to the south side of the river on the road to Croghan
This class graduated from the third school in 1885.
The fourth school in Beaver Falls was located near the intersection of the Cut Off road and Route 126. The school below replaced the 1870’s school in 1885.
This was the first graduating class of the Beaver Falls High School in This photo was taken in the wooden 1885 structure. This structure was replaced in 1927.
This is a drawing of The Beaver Falls School which was built in This new brick building was built right next to the old wooden one, and they moved from the wooden building in November, 1927.
This building was dedicated on January 13, In June this school graduated its first class: two girls and three boys.
This is the original building of the Beaver River Central School, completed in The name Beaver River Central replaced Beaver Falls High shortly before this. The new school cost $896,000 to construct.
This plaque commemorates the construction of the original BRCS. The ‘54-’55 school year was this building’s first.
With the closing of the rural units, an elementary wing was needed just four years after the school was built. The 228x76 foot addition cost the district $336,000.
This commemorates the addition of the new elementary wing. The old high school was used until the mid-1970’s for fourth and fifth grade classes.
The proposed 1961 addition was to include an eight class room addition and an auditorium. Together the plan was to cost a total of $260,000. The auditorium was not approved in the vote but the eight room addition was, for a cost of $160,000.
Beneath the eight rooms built in the 1961 addition was a nuclear bomb fallout shelter. The walls and upper floor were built thicker to withstand an explosion. This shelter had food and medicine so a number of people could survive a nuclear attack.
1967 marked a change in federal education policy. Billions were given to schools around the country. This building project cost a total of $1.69 million.
The 1967 addition added much to Beaver River Central School. New facilities included the pool, the high school gym, the auditorium, the elementary clusters, the elementary “cafetorium”, and both floors of the west wing.
This is the four class room middle school addition completed in 1993.
In 2002 the new Elementary Gym was completed. This corner stone commemorates the completion of this addition. The picture to the right is the Elementary Gym Addition. This building project had a cost of 18.5 million dollars, making it the largest building project in Beaver River’s history.
An addition to the upstairs was added. Four new classrooms, two computer rooms, bathrooms were added in this new addition.
The new music department addition included many upgrades such as individual practice rooms, lesson rooms and rehearsal rooms for band and chorus.
A lobby connecting the elementary gym to the high school wing was added. It is adorned with trophy cases and is decorated with oak. A beautiful stair case leads to the high school.
We have come a long way since the one room school houses built in the 1800’s. Both our school and community have grown substantially. Whether the 19 th century or the 21 st century, the goal of the schools is to meet the needs of these young people Scholar Athletes
Created By: Local History Class, Spring 2002 Updated and Edited by: Robert Eger Government Class service Project Spring 2005