21. What are six basic safety guidelines for working in the kitchen? Focus on what you’re doing.Dress for safety.Use tools and equipment safely.Close drawers and doors completely.Store large, heavy, and bulky items on low shelves.Control clutter.
32. What safety precautions can be taken to prevent falls in the kitchen? Tie shoelaces.Don’t wear extra-long skirts or pants.Keep floor clear of clutter.Wipe up spills.Spray oil over sink, not over the floor.Secure slippery rugs.Repair damaged flooring.Use sturdy stepstools.
43. How does keeping a knife sharpened make it a safer tool? It takes more force to use a dull knife, making it likely to slip.
54. How should knives be stored? In a divided drawer, knife block, or knife rack.
65. What precautions should be taken when washing sharp utensils? Don’t soak sharp items in a sink hidden by suds.Wipe knife blades with blade pointed away.Air-dry other cutting blades.Don’t randomly grab for utensils.
76. Why does prevention of fire and burns start with cleanliness? Grease and bits of food that build up in burners, ovens, range hoods, and toasters can catch fire.
87. How should you handle these cooktop situations: Lifting a lid: Lift the far edge first so the steam rises away from you.Use of fabric and paper items: Keep away from burners to prevent fire.Plastic utensils: Those used on the cooktop should be heatproof.Aerosol cans: Store away from heat.
98. What can you do to avoid burns when working with a hot oven? Arrange oven racks before you turn on the oven.Stand to one side when opening oven door.Use a potholder or oven mitt.Clean up spills that might burn.
109. When igniting a pilot light, do you light the match first or turn on the gas? Why? Light the match first; then turn on the burner and light it. If you turn on the burner first, gas will accumulate and could explode when you strike the match.
1110. What should you do if you see flames in an electric skillet or pan on the cooktop? Turn off the heat.Smother the fire with a lid or another pan, or with salt or baking soda.
1211. What are polarized plugs, and how do they enhance safety? Plugs made with one blade wider than the other.Their use reduces the risk of shock.
1312. What rules should be followed regarding water and electric appliances? Don’t use with wet hands or when standing in water.Don’t run cord around the sink.If appliance falls or gets wet, unplug it before touching.Unplug before cleaning.
1413. Name some poisonous chemicals that are often found in homes. Oven cleaners, lighter fluid, drain cleaners, pesticides, and different types of polish.
1514. What guidelines should be followed when grilling? Have a clean grill because baked-0on food and grease can cause flames to flare up when you light the charcoal.Place the grill on a level, paved surface where it will not tip over, away from buildings, shrubs, trash containers or anything that could catch fire.
16Never use a charcoal grill or hibachi inside the home or garage because there could be a build-up of carbon monoxide.If you use charcoal starter fluid, apply enough before striking the match. Adding more could trigger an explosion.Use fireproof gloves and heavy-duty grilling tools with long handles.
1715. How does a stove guard help childproof a kitchen? It blocks heating units.
1816. A five-year-old child stands on a chair at the counter, helping her parent prepare food. The child uses a small steak knife to make bread cubes while the parent step away to stir something on the range. Evaluate this situation for safety.
19The situation is unsafe because a chair isn’t sturdy. The child is too young to handle a sharp knife.The parent isn’t paying close enough attention.
2017. Why should people who aren’t parents also be aware of child safety guidelines? Awareness by all helps keep children safe.
2118. What is the Heimlich maneuver? A procedure for dislodging an object from the throat of a person who is choking.
2219. When might you need to perform cardio-pulmonary resuscitation? When someone’s breathing and heartbeat have stopped.
2320. Why should foods like grapes be cut into little pieces for children? They can choke on pieces of food that are too large.