Presentation on theme: "Sun and Stars. What is a star? A star is a ball of hot, glowing gases. From Earth from stars look like small points of light because they are far away."— Presentation transcript:
Sun and Stars
What is a star? A star is a ball of hot, glowing gases. From Earth from stars look like small points of light because they are far away. The only star in our solar system is the Sun. Stars can be grouped by their brightness, size, and color.
Colors of Stars Stars have different colors. Our sun is a yellow star. Blue stars are the hottest. Red stars are the coolest. There are also white stars.
The Sun Our sun is a medium- size star. It looks bigger because it is closer to us. The sun gives off 2 forms of energy- light and heat!
A Telescope A telescope is a tool that makes faraway objects seem closer. A telescope magnifies stars. You can see more stars with a telescope than just your eyes. A telescope is a long tube with lenses at both ends.
What is Radiant Energy? Stars give off radiant energy that can travel through space. Some of the sun’s radiant energy travels to us as light. This helps people see. Other radiant energy from the sun warms Earth’s land. During the night, some heat leaves the Earth. This is why it is cooler at night.
How can we use this energy to make something yummy? A solar oven! We are going to make solar ovens today and use the sun’s energy to melt our treat.
Step 1 Open the box and place a piece of black construction paper on the bottom of your pizza box. Then close your box. This will be where we later put the food.
Step 2 Measure a piece of plastic wrap to fit over the opening. This should be larger than the opening so that it can be taped to the underside flap. Make Sure it is pulled tight
Step 3 Wrap the flap on the lid with aluminum foil. Tape it to the box. Make sure that the foil is facing the inside of the box.
Step 4 Build your s’more and set it inside the pizza box. It should rest on the black paper.
Step 5 Let’s place our solar ovens in the sunlight and wait for a yummy treat!
Discuss with your partner….. Why did we use aluminum foil? Why did we use plastic wrap? Where does the heat come from to make the s’mores? Can you tell that the oven is getting hotter just by looking at it? Explain.
Review Time Let’s see how much you remember
1.The Sun is the ________ star to Earth. a. Farthest b. Closest
2. Stars are grouped by their size, color, and __________. a. electricity b. brightness
3. Stars look like small ________ of light in the night sky. a. points b. waves
4. The sun is a _______ star. a. supergiant b. Medium-size
5. _______ energy travels through space. a. electrical b. Radiant
6. The sun gives off 2 forms of energy, heat and ________. a. sound b. light
7. At night, the temperature is cooler. This is because heat is _______. a. lost b. gained
8. A star is a hot ball of glowing ______. a. Ice b. gases
9. The color of a star is determined by its __________. a. Temperature b. Size
10. A tool that could help us see the stars would be a __________. a. Thermometer b. Telescope