Presentation on theme: "Unit 5 Language. Part One Preparation Learning for Fun Laying Eggs on the Table Teacher: If I laid two eggs on this side of the table and two eggs on."— Presentation transcript:
Unit 5 Language
Part One Preparation Learning for Fun Laying Eggs on the Table Teacher: If I laid two eggs on this side of the table and two eggs on that side of the table, how many would I have? Little Bobby: I don’t know, teacher, but I bet you could not do it.
Part Two Listening-Centered Activities Listening I Words to watch 1. critic n. 批评者，评论员 2. represent v. 代表 3. loyalty n. 忠诚、忠心 4. ship v. 装上船航运 5. Wooden adj. 木制的
Exercise 1 Directions: Listen to the passage and answer the questions you hear on the tape. 1)Soap expressions 2)Three. They are:soap operas, soap boxes and to soft-soap a person Exercise 2 Directions: Listen to the passage again and fill in the blanks with what you get from the tape.
1)Soap operas are radio and television plays about the problems and emotions in human relationships. They are not about real people and are criticized as not representing a balanced picture of real life. Almost everyone in a soap opera has serious emotional problem, or is guilty of a crime. And there are several crises in every program. Soap opera fans’ loyalty made soap operas very popular in the US.
2)Soap boxes are wooden boxes that people stand on when they give a public speech. People stand on the boxes in order to make themselves taller. Soapbox speeches are usually political and one-sided. 3)To soft-soap someone means to use praise or other kind words to get the person to do what you want.
Listening II Words to Watch: 1. Desirable: adj. 值得拥有的 2. Interpreter: n. 口译员 3. Mimic: adj. 模仿的，假装的 4. Imitate: vt. 模仿，仿效 5. Due to: 由于，应归于 6. Numerous: adj. 众多的，许多的 7. Identity: n. 同一性，身份
Exercise1 Directions: Listen to an interview on language learning. Note down in the blanks the three questions the interviewer asked. 1)Do you think learners should aim to speak English with a native-speaker pronunciation?(c) 2)Children often do not want to speak English with a native-speaker pronunciation. Why not?(a) 3)What is the main reason why adults finds pronunciation difficult?(d)
Part III Reading Centered Activities In Class Reading 1)Outline of the text: The text describes how Helen Keller discovered words. When she was only a little girl, she became deaf and blind. Her world was dark and cold, without light and love. One day, Miss Sullivan came. That day marked a turning point in her life. Since then, her education began.
But she could only learn by touching and feeling. She did not understand the relationship between the words and the real objects until her teacher took her to the well house. Helen suddenly learned that “water” is something cool flowing over her hands. From then on, Helen Keller knew that everything had a name, and each name gave birth to a new thought. She felt so happy that she thought nobody else was happier than her.
2)Pre-reading Directions: You’re going to listen to a story about Helen Keller. After you hear the story, answer the following questions. 1. When did Helen Keller become completely blind and deaf? 2. What was Helen like before Anne Mansfield Sullivan became her teacher? 3. How did Helen manage to learn? 4. How many foreign languages did Helen learn? What are they?
3)Words to Watch: 1. Blossom n. the flower of a tree or bush, especially one that produces fruit * The cherry blossoms are at their best. * Peach blossoms have a lovely odor. 2. Childish adj. 孩子气的，幼稚的 ( 贬义） * His behavior is extremely childish. Childlike adj. 像孩子般天真的 ( 褒义） * He likes to make a childlike directness of speech.
3. Dense: adj. difficult to see through or breathe in adv.:densely; n.:density * a dense forest( 密林 ); a dense fog( 浓雾 ) * Frankfurt, Germany, is one of the most _________ populated regions of Western Europe. 4. Fragrance ：花草等飘扬的令人愉快的气味 Perfume ：香水等的香气 Smell ：气味的普通用语（好，坏） Odor ：近于 smell ；常用于科学中 Scent: 微弱的气味，多用于好的意味
5. Impress: Vt. 使感动， 使 … 铭记 * The picture impressed me very much. * This change has not yet impressed itself on the British public. 6. Penetrate: V. Succeed in getting through i. 渗入，渗透 * Rain penetrated my coat. ii. 刺穿，贯穿 * A bullet penetrated his chest
7. Quiver: Vi. （人、叶子、声音）颤抖， * She was quivering with the cold. Vt. 使振动 * The butter fly was quivering its wings. 8. Sensation: n. 指透过 senses （五官）的 官能而人的感觉。 * I felt a sensation of happiness. 9. Vainly: adv. Unsuccessfully * He tried vainly to make them listen.
4)Phrases and Expressions 1. At the first opportunity: as soon as possible * They will contact us a the first opportunity. 2. Give birth to: cause something to happen * The extraordinary experience gave birth to his latest novel. 3. Live over: recall vividly * Parents often live over the first words or steps of their children. 4. Long for: want very much * He longed for the winter to be over.
5. Prey (up)on: (of unhappiness, trouble, etc.)trouble greatly 烦扰 * The problem preyed (up)on his mind. 6. Sweep away: completely destroy or make something disappear * A sudden feeling of nostalgia( 思乡之情） swept all my anger away. 7. To and fro: backwards and forwards * I was disturbed by all the people walking to and fro outside the office.
5)Understanding the General Organization of the Text Part I.(Para.1): Introduction: the most important day in her life Part II (Para. 2-3): Her feelings before her teacher arrived. Part III(Para.4): The first encounter with the teacher Miss Sullivan. Part IV(Para. 5-9): How she discovered words?
6)Language Points 1. I am filled with wonder when I consider the immeasurable contrast between the two lives which it connects. What is the immeasurable contrast? Before the teacher came, she lived in a still, dark world in which there was no strong sentiment or tenderness. What do the two lives refer to? The two lives she led before and after the teacher came?
2. On the afternoon of that eventful day, I stood on the porch, dumb, expectant. 汉译：在这一重要日子的午后，我呆呆 地坐在我家的门廊上，内心充满了期盼。 Why did Helen consider March 3,1887 an eventful day? Because the day marked a turning point in her life. On that day, the teacher came to her to reveal all things to her, including love.
3. The afternoon sun penetrated the mass of honeysuckle that covered the porch, and fell on my upturned face. 汉译：午后的阳光透过布满门 那蔟金 银花照射到我仰起的脸上。 That covered the porch 是定语从句，修饰 honeysuckle; penetrated 和 fell 为并列谓 语 ;upturned 意为 turned upwards( 仰着的， 向上翘的）
4. Have you ever been at sea in a dense fog, when it seemed as if a tangible white darkness shut you in, and the great ship, tense and anxious, groped her way toward the shore with plummet and sounding-line, and you waited with beating heart for something to happen? What does white darkness mean? A feeling of being lost, like a ship at sea almost incapable of finding her way in a white fog without sunshine.
What does her refer to? The ship. plummet ：测深锤，铅坠， sounding-line: 测深线（绳） 汉泽：你可曾在航海时遇上过有浓雾的时 候？你仿佛被困在了触手可及的一片白 茫茫中，不见天日。你乘坐的巨轮，靠 测深锤或测深线的指引，举步维艰地靠 向海岸，既紧张又焦急不安你则心怦怦 直跳，等着有事要发生。
5. I stretched out my hand as I supposed to my mother. 释义： I stretched out my hand, as I supposed, to my mother. I supposed that stretched out my hand to my mother (instead of to anyone else) as 是关系代词引导定语从句，其先行词 是整个句子。 汉译：我伸出了手，以为会是母亲。
6. Someone took it, and I was caught up and held close in the arms of her who had come to reveal all things to me, and, more than all things else, to love me. reveal: to make known 揭露，揭示 ; to allow to be seen: 展现，显示 ; …who had come to reveal… 是定语从句，其先行词为 her. 汉译：有人抓住了它 ( 我的手 ) ，把我拽住并紧 紧地抱在了怀里。正是这个人的到来，把整个 世界展示给我，并且最重要的是给我带来了爱。
7. …also spelled “d-o-l-l” and tried to make me understand that “d-o-l-l” applied to both. What does both refer to? Both the new doll and the big rag doll. …but I persisted in confounding the two. What do the two refer to? The words and the real objects. 8. In despair she had dropped the subject for the time, only to renew it at the first opportunity. 汉译：失望之余她暂时搁起这一话题，但一有 机会她又旧事重提。
9. It would have been difficult to find a happier child than I was as I lay in my crib at the close of that eventful day and lived over the joys it had brought me, and for the first time longed for a new day to come. It 是形式主语，真正的主语是 to find a happier child than I was, as I lay in my crib…; brought me 是状语 ; it had brought me 作定语从句，修饰 joys. 汉译：在这个重要的日子快要结束时，已很难 找到一个比我更加幸福的孩子。我躺在自己的 小床上，回味着这一天所给予我的欣喜；渴望 着新的一天的到来，这是我有生以来从末有过 的期盼。