Presentation on theme: "Plain City Presbyterian Church Celebrating 200 Years of Worship."— Presentation transcript:
Plain City Presbyterian Church Celebrating 200 Years of Worship
The Early Years “One afternoon, in the fall of 1800, a clerical looking man came riding out of the south into town, tied his horse to a tree, and knocked on the door of one of the three or four little houses in the town.” History of the Presbyterian Church, PO Robinson
Founders of the Church Rev. Archibald Steele Rev. Archibald Steele James Robinson James Robinson David Mitchel David Mitchel Samuel Kirkpatrick Samuel Kirkpatrick Robert Snodgrass Robert Snodgrass Joshua Ewing Joshua Ewing
The Church is Established “The first church building was erected in 1815 on about four acres, just west of the city limits on Route 161. It was a large frame building, had no chimney, and no way of heating; therefore it could not be occupied in the winter. The men sat on one side of the church and the women on the other.” The Sesquicentennial Album of Presbyterian Church, Mrs. PO Robinson
Church Service in 1815 “Sunday school was in the morning at 9:30; church at 11:00. The church service had two prayers and a sermon an hour in length, then came a half hour’s intermission for dinner, carried in baskets.... then back to church for another long sermon.” The Sesquicentennial Album of Presbyterian Church, Mrs. PO Robinson
Session Records “From 1821 until now, the records of the meetings of the session are complete. They show the joy and gladness of birth, baptism and marriage, and the sorrow of separation and death.” The Sesquicentennial Album of Presbyterian Church, Mrs. PO Robinson
Brick Building 1870-1893 By 1870, Plain City had grown, so it was decided to move the church building to the present location. The old building was torn down, the bricks hauled here, and the new church was erected.
Brick Church Ministers 1870 – 1871 Rev. William Galbreath 1870 – 1871 Rev. William Galbreath 1871 – 1873 Rev. J. H. Stevenson 1871 – 1873 Rev. J. H. Stevenson 1876 – 1879 Rev. H. K. Crow 1876 – 1879 Rev. H. K. Crow 1880 – 1884 Rev. Isaac Thomas 1880 – 1884 Rev. Isaac Thomas 1885 – 1887 Rev. James Hawk 1885 – 1887 Rev. James Hawk 1888 – 1893 Rev. T. B. Atkins 1888 – 1893 Rev. T. B. Atkins 1893 – 1893 Rev. E. C. Jacka 1893 – 1893 Rev. E. C. Jacka
Church Building 1893 The congregation quickly outgrew the first church. Rev. JM Work spearheaded the building of the current church in 1893.