Presentation on theme: "PCEA A Presbyterian denomination headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya. It was started by various missionaries from Scotland and Britain in 1891."— Presentation transcript:
PCEA A Presbyterian denomination headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya. It was started by various missionaries from Scotland and Britain in 1891
HISTORY OF PCEA In 1889, Sir William Mackinnon and Mr. A.L Bruce made plans for a Scottish Mission among the Kamba, Maasai and Kikuyu people in Kenya In 1891, Mr. Thomas Watson and other directors of the Imperial British East Africa (A chartered company of missionaries), left London for British East Africa after being invited by Mackinnon and Bruce
HISTORY OF PCEA Dr. James Stewart of South Africa, joined the Scottish and British missionaries in Kenya later that year and became the leader of the Mission, named “East African Scottish Mission.” In 1892, Stewart, opened the first temporary church in Kibwezi, as well as the first school with only two students
HISTORY OF PCEA In 1894, Mr. Thomas Watson visited the city of Dagoretti to survey the possibilities of transferring the Mission station and in 1898, they moved and formed themselves as the “Church of Scotland Mission” The Mission build up believers among the Kikuyu, Meru and Maasai peoples. The first mission stations were, Thogoto, Tumutumu and Chogoria followed by Nakuru, Mombasa and Eldoret.
HISTORY OF PCEA In 1920, a form of Church government was set up and inaugurated by the Very Reverend J.N. Ogilvie with the authority of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland Elders were ordained, Parish Sessions formed for the Kikuyu, Tumutumu, St. Andrew’s, Nairobi congregations, in which the Presbytery of British East Africa implemented their jurisdiction That same year, the first native elders were ordained in Kikuyu
HISTORY OF PCEA In 1926, the ordination of the First African Pastors ( Rev. Musa Gitau, Rev. Benjamin Githieya, Rev. Joshua Matenjwa) happened at Kikuyu In 1936, the separation of the overseas Presbytery of Kenya to cater for the colonial and continental work was done by the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland In 1952, Authority was given to the overseas Presbytery of Kenya by the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland to begin conversation with the Synod of Presbyterian Church of East Africa
HISTORY OF PCEA In 1956, the Synod of the Presbyterian Church of East Africa and the overseas Presbytery of Kenya united as PCEA PCEA became a member of the World Council of Churches and World Alliance of Reformed Churches in the same year In 1958, Rev. Robert MacPherson was elected as the Moderator/Secretary General for the General Assembly In 1959, A relationship with the United Presbyterian Church in USA was established In 1961, Rev. Charles Kareri, was elected as the Moderator of the General Assembly, followed by Rev. Gitau, Rev. Kiongo, Rev. John Gatu, Rev. Wanjau, Rev. Munidi, Rev. Macharia, Rev. Githii and currently Rev. Gathanju.
LEADERSHIP Rt. Rev. David R. Gathanju is the current Moderator of the 19 th General Assembly. He has served since April 14 th 2009.
PCEA DEVELOPMENT Assumed to be the fastest growing church in East and Central Africa There are 49 presbyteries, divided into 5 Regions (Eastern, Central, Nairobi, Mt. Kenya, and Rift Valley Regions) There are approximately 3.5 million members, 310 parishes and 1550 congregations.
PCEA DEVELOPMENT PCEA Wogect Hotel, Mombasa Milele Beach Hotel, acquired by PCEA in 2007
PCEA DEVELOPMENT Masai Technical Training Institute PCEA Tumutumu Nursing School
PCEA DEVELOPMENT Outspan Medical College St. Andrew’s Church School
WOMAN’S GUILD The P.C.E.A. Woman's Guild is a fellowship of women and girls in the PCEA, whose main objective is to bring together women and girls for Christian fellowship, worship and service. Currently the Woman's Guild has a membership of about sixty two thousand (162,000) women and girls in the three East African countries where there are P.C.E.A. Churches.
PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH MEN FELLOWSHIP The PCMF is a department of men within the PCEA Church working to see that wholeness is attained in the lives of boys
The Boys’ Brigade (B. B) and The Girls’ Brigade (G. B.) were formed as a result of the concern from a Sunday School teacher Sir W. A. Smith. The movement later spread to other countries through the missions that were earlier established by the missionaries. In 1909, Dr J. W. Arthur started the first PCEA Boys Brigade Company at Kikuyu Mission.
The PCEA Youth Department came into being by a resolution of PCEA General Assembly (GA) in 1960 to cater for the needs of young people between ages years. In inaugurating the Youth department, it was agreed that the department embrace activities of young people and enlist their efforts in the tasks of evangelism and fellowship.