Presentation on theme: "Evidence for a Creator Encounter Apologetics Training Camp Week #1."— Presentation transcript:
Evidence for a Creator Encounter Apologetics Training Camp Week #1
1. Evidence for a Creator 2. Validity of the Bible 3. Resurrection of Jesus 4. Creationism vs. Evolution 5. Other Religions 6. Question Session Apologetics Camp Outline
What is Apologetics? Defense of the truth of the Christian faith. Apologia - to give a defense or a reply.
What is Apologetics? Negative Apologetics - Defend against objections.Positive Apologetics - Present a positive case in favor of the Christian faith.
Why Apologetics? Persuade nonbelievers. Strengthen convictions. Grow deeper in faith and understanding.
Why Apologetics Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men. 1 Corinthians 14:20
Why Apologetics Therefore, dear friends, since you have been forewarned, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of the lawless and fall from your secure position. But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen. 2 Peter 3:17-18
The Historical Foundation The Apostle Paul was one of the first “ apologists. ”
The Historical Foundation For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve: After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep. After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles. And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time. 1 Corinthians 15:3-8
The Historical Foundation The Apostle Paul was one of the first “ apologists. ” Throughout Western history, the Christian faith has produced some of the greatest intellects. Aquinas Anselm Newton
The Historical Foundation The Apostle Paul was one of the first “ apologists. ” Throughout Western history, the Christian faith has produced some of the greatest intellects.The great universities of Europe and America were founded upon Christian Principles.
The Biblical Foundation “ But set Christ apart as Lord in your hearts and always be ready to give an answer to anyone who asks about the hope you possess. Yet do it with courtesy and respect... ” 1 Peter 3:15
The Biblical Foundation “ Dear friends, although I have been eager to write to you about our common salvation, I now feel compelled instead to write to encourage you to contend earnestly for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints. ” Jude 3
The Biblical Foundation “ Paul went to the Jews in the synagogue, as he customarily did, and on three Sabbath days he addressed them from the scriptures, explaining and demonstrating that the Christ had to suffer and to rise from the dead, saying, "This Jesus I am proclaiming to you is the Christ." Acts 17:2-4
How to talk to atheists, agnostics and non-believers. Often angry or have a vendetta against believers Need to diffuse the situation first Must even the playing field first They often are arrogant and/or feel superior Need to knock them down a few pegs Answering Atheists
Don’t be intimidated It’s okay to be vulnerable, better than being silent Christian swag No question they ask will crumble Christianity DO NOT USE THE BIBLE Ask questions Answering Atheists
“ If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. ” 1 Corinthians 13.2 In Love
Burden of proof is on the believer. They believe just as much as we do... believe that there is no God. Christians only have blind faith... Enlighten them Answering Atheists
Try and use evolution...we’ll talk about that later They can’t prove there is no God We have proof to support our claim Christianity is for lazy, dumb people Answering Atheists
FB example Answering Atheists Besides, the facts I’m stating are overwhelmingly supported by the scientific community therefore you are the one who is making outlandish claims and the burden of proof is on you, not me. The only "evidence" you've given is loose associations of known facts with your beliefs which amount to little more than pseudo-scientific spin. Let me illustrate the flaws in your logic by comparing your methods with those of scientists: SCIENTIFIC METHOD: Gather the facts and reach a conclusion. CREATIONIST METHOD: Reach a conclusion and try to find facts to support it. Your “god” is a racist, sexist, a**hole that only morons and people who don’t want to think believe in.
Answering Atheists Practice Time The burden of proof is on the believer, PROVE IT TO ME JERKFACE! You just have blind faith, you’ll never have real evidence....like ever. Flip the script...ask them questions.
The Existence of God "For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse." Paul [Romans 1:20]
The Existence of God The universe. Intelligent life. You. 3 Things God Made that Testify to His Existence
1. The Universe 1. Everything that begins to exist has a cause. The universe began to exist. Therefore the universe has a cause The Cosmological Argument
1. The Universe 1. Universally affirmed by experience. 2.Foundational scientific principle. 3.Alternative - things pop into existence out of nothing? Everything that begins to exist has a cause.
1. The Universe 1.Expansion of the universe. 2.2nd Law of Thermodynamics. 3.Borde-Guth-Vilenkin Theorem The universe began to exist.
1. The Universe It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man. With the proof now in place, cosmologists can no longer hide behind the possibility of a past-eternal universe. There is no escape, they have to face the problem of a cosmic beginning. Alexander Vilkenkin
1. The Universe 1.Timeless 2.Immaterial 3.Changeless 4.Uncaused 5.PERSONAL Therefore the universe has a cause
1. Everything that begins to exist has a cause. The universe began to exist. Therefore the universe has a cause RECAP - The Cosmological Argument
2. Intelligent Life 1.The Universe is fine tuned for life. 2.The fine tuning of the universe is due to chance, necessity, or design. The fine tuning is not due to chance or necessity. Therefore, the universe is designed. The Teleological Argument
2. Intelligent Life The Universe is fine tuned for life. 1.Gravity - 1 in 10^36 2.Cosmological Constant - 1 in 10^120
2. Intelligent Life Cover the entire North American continent in dimes all the way up to the moon (a height of 239,000 miles). Next, pile dimes on a billion other continents the same size as North America up to the moon. Paint one dime red and mix that one into the rest of the dimes on the billions of continents. Blindfold a friend and ask them to pick out the red dime. The chances that they will pick out the red dime are 1 in 10^37. And this is only one of the parameters that must be balanced within 1 part in 10^37 to allow any kind of life to form. Hugh Ross
2. Intelligent Life 1.Necessity - Does the universe have to exist the way it is? 2.Chance - The Multiverse? The fine tuning is not due to chance or necessity.
2. Intelligent Life 1.No evidence in favor of it. 2.Still would need to be fine-tuned. 3.Boltzmann brains! Problems with the Multiverse
2. Intelligent Life... A common sense interpretation of the facts suggests that a superintellect has monkeyed with physics, as well as with chemistry and biology, and that there are no blind forces worth speaking about in nature. The numbers one calculates from the facts seem to me so overwhelming as to put this conclusion almost beyond question. Astronomer Fred Hoyle, former atheist.
2. Intelligent Life 1.The Universe is fine tuned for life. 2.The fine tuning of the universe is due to chance, necessity, or design. The fine tuning is not due to chance or necessity. Therefore, the universe is designed. RECAP: The Teleological Argument
3. You! 1.The Human Brain - most complex thing in the universe. 2.Where does conscious experience come from?
3. You! 1.If atheism is true, souls would not exist. 2.Souls exist. 3.Therefore, atheism is not true. Noological Argument
3. You! If atheism is true, souls would not exist. Dualism: The view that a human person is composed of two fundamental things; a body and a soul.Physicalism: The view that a human person is merely a physical body.
3. You! Dualism: The view that a human person is composed of two fundamental things; a body and a soul.Physicalism: The view that a human person is merely a physical body.
3. You! 1.Physicalism can ’ t explain consciousness. 2.Near Death Experiences Souls exist.
3. You! 1.If atheism is true, souls would not exist. 2.Souls exist. 3.Therefore, atheism is not true. RECAP - Noological Argument
Conclusion Apologetics - Defense of faithWhy it ’ s important. How to apply. Christian swag.
Conclusion Creation of the universe. Fine-tuning of the universe for life. Creation of the human soul. Evidence for God ’ s Existence
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.