Presentation on theme: "Top 10 Student Record Mysteries Solved March 13, 2014 Chad Hilton Lead Systems Analyst Office of the University Registrar."— Presentation transcript:
Top 10 Student Record Mysteries Solved March 13, 2014 Chad Hilton firstname.lastname@example.org@pitt.edu Lead Systems Analyst Office of the University Registrar
1. Campus vs. Location 5 campuses All campuses are locations, only 5 locations are campuses. 267 locations! E.g. Argentina, Allderdice High School CampusDescriptionLocation PITPittsburghPGH UPBBradfordBRAD UPGGreensburgGREEN UPJJohnstownJOHNS UPTTitusvilleTITUS
2. Course ID vs. Class Number Each course has a unique Course ID Course ID is constant Each term, every class is assigned a unique Class Number The combination of Term and Class Number uniquely identifies a class
3. Sessions For a term, each career may have multiple sessions Each session may have a different begin date, end date and enroll open date Spring 2014 (2144) CareerSessionBeginEndEnroll Open UGRDAT1/6/20144/18/201411/9/2013 GRADPA11/6/20143/1/201411/9/2013 LAWFPL1/6/20145/7/201411/9/2013 MEDS4W21/27/20142/23/201411/9/2013
4. Majors and Minors Don’t forget the Major/Minor Doubles and Major/Minor Triples (Academic Plan Type field)! MAJ = Major MJD = Major Double MJT = Major Triple MIN = Minor MID = Minor Double MIT = Minor Triple
5. Ctrl-Shift-J In PeopleSoft, to get a list of fields for a screen, type Ctrl-Shift-J, then run this query: SELECT DISTINCT LBLTEXT, RECNAME, FIELDNAME, PNLNAME, PNLFLDID FROM UD_STW.PSPNLFIELD WHERE PNLNAME = :1 AND FIELDSTYLE <> 'PAGROUPBOX' AND SUBSTR(FIELDNAME,1,1) <> ' ' ORDER BY RECNAME
5. What is FERPA? F amily E ducational R ights and P rivacy A ct of 1974 (Buckley Amendment) Protects the privacy of student educational records Applies to any higher education institution receiving federal funds administered by the Department of Education
5. What is FERPA? (cont.) Rights of Students Inspect and Review their Education Records Exercise limited control over disclosure of Education Records information Seek to correct their Education Records Report violations of FERPA to the Department of Education Be informed of their FERPA rights
6. Waitlist Waitlist has been turned on for the UGRD career Other careers will be turned on in the future When a student is enrolled in a course who was on the waitlist, their enroll status reason is “EWAT”, not “ENRL”.
7. Academic Career Career CodeDescription CNEDContinuing Education DMEDDental Medicine GRADGraduate LAWLaw MEDSMedical School UGRDUndergraduate
7. Academic Career (cont.) Students can only be officially activated for one career for a given term. When a student enrolls in a course, the student’s academic career is stored in the student enrollment table in PeopleSoft. Each class stored in the class table has an academic career, but this is tied to the class and not the student.
7. Academic Career (cont.) Enrolled GRAD Academic Career BACC 2524 (GRAD) BUSACC 1241 (UGRD)
8. Census Dates Each term has a date by which official university data is calculated for reporting FallSeptember 28 Spring February 4 Summer July 15 Pitt Fact Book www.ir.pitt.edu/factbook
9. Online Classes 3 Types WEB class is offered online no request made for a physical classroom HYBRID class is offered online request is made for a physical classroom DIST EDUC class is viewed online live as the class is taught in a classroom
10. Transcripts 50-60 K Transcripts processed each year Online Transcripts and Enrollment Verification Ordering Sent via e-mail (pdf) or paper via regular/overnight mail 2 Account Types – SSO (Single Sign On) via My Pitt – Self-Register for former students w/o My Pitt Must use Adobe Reader/Pro to view PDF!