Presentation on theme: "Warm –up: What is the density of the block?"— Presentation transcript:
1Warm –up: What is the density of the block? CUBE DESCRIPTIONMaterial PlasticLength of each side cmMass gramsWeight N
2Lab Safety Tools Measurement Unit 1 ReviewLab SafetyToolsMeasurement
3What are the steps you should follow if an accident occurs in the lab? Stay Calm***2. Tell the teacher3. Follow directions
4When cleaning up a lab where materials contain bacteria, when should you wash your hands? Wash hands with soap and water after everything has been cleaned up.
5*So materials do not become contaminated. What is the primary reason for cleaning and properly storing lab equipment after you finish a lab?*So materials do not become contaminated.
64. How will you know the correct way to dispose of a chemical after a lab? Pour the chemical into a special waste container as instructed by the teacher.
75. How would you position a test tube over an open flame? Use a test tube holder to hold the test tube over an open flame.
86. Give an example of how you can conserve materials in a lab? ***Limit the amount of materials used during the investigation.
97. What are some laboratory items that can be safely reused? Glassware can be reused by washing it. Examples: graduated cylinders, beakers, *Petri dishes, flasks
108. Why do we waft chemical vapors instead of just smelling them? ***We “waft” vapors to protect the respiratory track from strong harmful vapors.
111. What is the formula for Density? Density is mass/volume
122. Which tools would you need to find density of a cube? You will need a balance and ruler.
13***Place cylinder on a level surface ***Get down at eye level. 3. What steps must you follow when measuring liquids with a graduated cylinder?***Place cylinder on a level surface***Get down at eye level.***Measure at the bottom of the meniscus.Count out the scale!!!
144. What might a Petri dish be used for? ***growing bacteria samples
15Tools Word Bank This tool is used to measure mass. Triple beam balance SI Unitgrams
17Length is measured with a ________. metric rulerSI Unitmeter
18A ___________ is used to measure temperature. thermometerSI UnitCelsius
19Weight is measured with a _________. spring scaleSI UnitNewtons
20Timing things in a lab is done with a ______________.stopwatchSI Unitseconds
21Spring Scale Metric Ruler Balance Stop Watch Graduated Cylinder Weight Density Speed(N) (g/mL) (cm/s)9. What tools would be used to collect data for the tableabove? (hint…there should be five tools)Spring ScaleMetric RulerBalanceStop WatchGraduated Cylinder
22Measurement Tool SI Unit mass balance X Y graduated cylinder mL 8. According to the data table above, what would belong at points X, Y and Z?Measurement Tool SI Unitmass balance XY graduated cylinder mLlength metric ruler cmWeight Z Ng gramvolumeSpring scale
237. What is the difference in the actual width of the two trees? Scale: 1 cm = 3 m
246. Find the average (mean) height of the two columns?
255. What is the average (mean) length of the three lines?