Presentation on theme: "People In Aid Conference"— Presentation transcript:
1People In Aid Conference EthiopiaThe Role of HR in building effective International NGOPeople In Aid Conference8th Feb 2008,Geneva.
2Organizational Effectiveness In this presentation we will look at how the HR Function can help an organization be effective.
3Organizational effectiveness Organizational effectiveness is an organization’s ability to maximize results in the competitive environment.Focus on PeopleNGOs need to focus on organizational effectiveness, through people’s innovation and the development of new ideas.
4Corporate Approach to the managent of HR. The focus on people, their performance, innovation and creativity is the professional concern of HR.But Managing people is not limited to HR professionals.The responsibility should spread through out the organization, involving all level of management.A strategic foundation should also be laid out to manage our people effectively and efficiently
5HR as contributor to mission accomplishment . HR functions are being increasingly required to show how they enable their organizations maximize the contribution of people to the effective delivery of the organization's goals.The HR function supports organization’s plan, goals and strategies by focusing attention on a framework of :Employee attraction and retention.Employee relations and staff well - beingEmployee development and Performance ManagementWorkforce Planning and Workload managementEquity and Diversity
6HR’s Role in developing effective international NGO. The focus of HR’s endeavors in NGOs must focus on the following three essentials:1. Effective leadership,3. A Highly Motivated and diverse workforce of skilled and committed people3. An organizational set up and process designed to enable people to achieve
71. Effective LeadershipEffective leadership is the top priority to develop an effective NGO which can maximize results by delivering quality ministry.Effective leaders recognize that what they know is very little in comparison to what they still need to learn.Hence, the role of HR will be to :Suggest competencies for effective leadership in organizations.Design leadership and management development planAssist leaders to manage their own learning
82. A highly motivated and diverse workforce of skilled and committed people Competent and satisfied people are a prerequisite for organizational effectivenessIn the development and people in Aid sector, it is only the service that a committed staff have furnished to the community or beneficiaries that will result in transformation
92. A highly motivated and diverse workforce of skilled and committed people cont….. 2.1 What is the role of HRIf people are to be the source of new ideas and a prerequisite for organizational effectiveness, the responsibility of HR is to help the staff be aligned to the purpose and direction of the ministry through capacity building , succession planning , and building trust.
102. A highly motivated and diverse workforce of skilled and committed people cont… HR involvement in capacity building and succession planning :Identify gaps in current competency level.Establish process and policyEnsure that succession planning candidates for key positions will have Individual development plan (IDP)Ensure that employee get the support that they need to develop their skills and knowledge they require to deliver organizational needs
112. A highly motivated and diverse workforce of skilled and committed people cont…. Trust is pivotal for effective people management . What is the role of HR in making Trust pervade in NGOsPartner with management in introducing servant leadership that: trusts, empowers, supports, and encourages.Advise management to concentrate on healing kind of leadership.Conduct a broad array of community building activities across the organization
123. A suitable organizational set up and 3. A suitable organizational set up and process designed to enable people to achieveEnhancing organizational efficiency takes:Establishing appropriate structure, systems and process to enable people to produce the high level of creativity, energy and effort to generate efficient service to the communityDeveloping all the resources, personal, physical, technological and systems, needed to achieve an NGOs future directions.
133. A suitable organizational set up and 3. A suitable organizational set up and process designed to enable people to achieve3.1 HR has a critical role to play in organizational design, chief among which are the following :Speak to OD issues with unique insights on how to identify areas of inefficiency.Suggest a structured method for improving business processes.Play key role in developing, reviewing and refining structure, policies and practices, and eliminating non value added steps.Encouraging departments and divisions to more effectively implement the new methods, systems, and directions of work on an ongoing basis.
14How will HR need to change ? Many organizations are reviewing their HR service and systems and evaluating how strategic their HR Function is, as they consider to increase the role of HR to make it more effective.Are you ready to change ?
15How will HR need to change ? Cont… You will need to audit your HR function to :Identify whether the current HR function is meeting service needs.Determine whether their processes and systems help deliver an efficient and effective serviceIdentify whether HR practitioners have the necessary skills and competencies to deliver strategic people management.
16To build effective International NGO We need to create a healthycommunity, where all handswork togetheras oneEffective HR plays vital role in mobilizing individual commitment